Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody got some ideas about how to setup painting for a 16 mo old?
I was thinking he was too young but I've seen a lot of people post that their dcs this young enjoy it. The thing i can't figure is: ds definitely likes to hang with me so instead of a playroom or anything we just have play "spots" or areas in all rooms and I'm trying to figure out how we could do paint in the living room/kitchen without him getting paint on everything....he jumps from one thing to the next so what to do with a wandering toddler with a paintbrush in hand??

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
This is how I do it with my 2.5-year-old.

We have a kid size card table that I set up in our kitchen (it has tile floors, easy to wipe paint off). We use the washable non-toxic poster paints made by Crayola and slick painting paper. Paint is applied with brush/sponge/fingers (totally his choice). I strip DS to his diaper, then I supervise him in the kitchen while he paints, reminding him to keep the paint on the paper (or at least on the table). Sometimes he does paint the cabinets but I'm right there with a wet rag and I just wipe it off, or I ask him to wipe it off.

The only problem I have with painting is that you do have to be right there monitoring the situation. I can't even leave for a second, because he has trouble remembering to keep the paint on the paper. He also wastes a lot of paint. However, he absolutely loves it, knows the procedure and is getting better about being responsible with the paints.

Another less wasteful option is to buy paint markers . He doesn't like these as much, but I use them when I don't want to watch him very closely.

Painting is a wonderful sensory activity, and as long as you keep an eye on the kids, it should go pretty well. With really young toddlers I'd worry about them eating the paint.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We set ours up in the garage, that way I don't have to be as freaked about paint on the floor, etc. I still have to watch him, or he will paint on everything. Our mantra for paints, crayons or anything for drawing or paining is "only on the easel or paper." This seems to work pretty well for us!

~Carrie & Boden (8-19-03)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
We have a "messy mat" for all art projects (playdough, paint, crayons, etc.). It is the largest vinyl table cloth I could find. Its huge. We spread it out and use only washable water based paint. As the other poster said, you do have to watch every moment even so. We also have an easel that we use for other things but not painting, since it happens to be huge and heavy and hard to move from place to place.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I have a special table set up for DD in my sewing room. It's a tile floor, and one that I don't worry about her ruining. I cover the drafting table in paper, tape it down, and let her go nuts. I fill up a flat paint tray with a few different colours, and give her 3 or 4 brushes of different sizes. I usually have to hang out with her while she paints, because she gets upset if she gets paint on her hands, so I have to be ready with a wet cloth.

I've also started a little basket of "craft" supplies (scraps of paper, pieces of cardboard, scraps of fabric, glue-stick, etc) so that she can do collages.

We have a smaller box of crayons, pencil crayons, and a mini pad of paper that we keep in the kitchen for her. She sits at the table and colours, and it keeps her occupied while I make dinner or clean.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Our set-up is in the carport. I taped a big garbage bag to the wall and I tape big paper to that. The paint is now in little tupperwares that I glued to a piece of cardboard so she can't tip them over. I have found that cheap paintbrushes just suck--you really have to spend about $2-3 a brush IMO.

There are also a bunch of no-spill paint pots on the market. I did indeed post a thread about this here not long ago--if you search you might find it.

DD has been painting since she was about 14 months and she LOVES it.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Daycare! Seriously, they have staff to setup, supervise, and clean up, with multiple kids doing it to actually make it worthwhile! On the 3 days a week that he is there, ds does enjoy painting...I know, I'm lame. It's just that at 18 months, he only enjoys painting for about two minutes and then he's off to something else (yes, with paintbrush in hand!). The whole easel and tempura paints just seem like too much work at this stage.

We do do watercolors though - they are pretty easy, and the setup and clean up is minimal enough to make the activity worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You *must* read the book First Art. It covers everything you need to know about toddler art and gives some great projects. There are something things I would have never thought of had I not read it in the book, like having a bucket of water and wash cloth handy because it's very common for kids not to like having their hands full of paint. I thought, not my kid, but sure enough he wanted them wiped off right away!!
I HIGHLY recommend this book!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...books&v=glance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.