Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in upstate NY, the summer days are often hot but nights are cool -- it's not unusual for it to be 85 degrees during the day, but only in the high 50s at night.<br><br>
The sun beats into my 7 month old's bedroom during the day, so when I'm getting her ready for bed at 7 p.m. it's usually hot in there. [We co-slept for many months, but these days I find both she and I sleep better if we're not in the same bed.] By the middle of the night, it's cool enough that I sleep with a sheet and two blankets over myself. So I can't figure out what to dress her in for sleeping.<br><br>
I could change her clothes in the middle of the night, but most nights she only wakes up once (hallelujah!), and she screams and cries like I'm torturing her if I change her diaper or her clothes. She just wants to nurse and go right back to sleep, so that's usually what we do. Last night I put her to sleep in a onesie with bare arms and legs, and when she woke up to nurse at 3:30 a.m. her arms and the back of her neck felt quite cool, but her hands and feet were toasty warm.<br><br>
Here are the options I see:<br><br>
1) Put her to sleep in a short-sleeved onesie and leave her in that all night, because it's hot in the room when she's going to sleep. Since she's sleeping well, she must be OK temperature-wise, even in the coolest part of the night. Accept that even though I would be cold and unhappy if my arms and legs were bare in the middle of the night, she seems to be fine.<br><br>
2) Put her to sleep in something with long sleeves (maybe a sleep sack), so she'll be warm enough when her room cools down and her body temperature drops.<br><br>
3) Change her clothes in the middle of the night even though she hates it.<br><br>
4) Put a light cotton blanket over her when I lay her back down after nursing. But I don't think it's considered safe to put a blanket in a crib with a sleeping baby. At what age is it considered acceptable? Given how much she moves around in her sleep, I guess it wouldn't be over her very long, anyway.<br><br>
What do/would you do?

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Hi. I'm in SW Oregon and we have similar summer climates, at least when the weather here is normal. My DD is 4 mo and we still co-sleep with her in a light short-sleeved onesie. Since we dont have AC, the bedroom is too warm for anything more than a light sheet to start the night. However, DD kicks and kicks to get it off. I try to sleep with an arm across her to hold it down but during sleep she eventually gets uncovered. Lately she is more independent at night and doesn't want me cuddling her. She wakes up to eat once during the night and by then the room is much cooler, but she still doesn't want covered. Her legs and arms even feel cool, but she doesn't seem to mind. I won't put her in anything warmer to sleep at night because she gets hot really easily, not sure if your DD is the same.<br>
I think that I would try the sleepsack or longsleeved onesie if your DD doesn't seem too warm at the start of the night. Otherwise I think I would just leave things the way they are. I hope I am not being too naive to think that our young children would complain if they are uncomfortable or too cool when sleeping. I know DD complains when she is too warm. HTH.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My DD is almost 8 mos. We have similar issues here in PA. What I typically do is put her down in a onesie and then cover her up with a light blanket when i go to bed. Now that she can roll over and grab things with her hands and stuff I figure there is less danger of her suffocating. We had to give up on the sleeper bags because she hates them. I do have one that is a lighter weight material, more like a sheet, if you could find something like that.<br><br>
The other thing we did is buy a 'thermal curtain' for her window from Target. It helps the room stay cooler during the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts