Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/op...14kristof.html

She has...emerged as a ferocious spokeswoman against honor killings, rapes and acid attacks on women.

A group of Pakistani-Americans invited Ms. Mukhtaran to visit the U.S. starting this Saturday (see www.4anaa.org). Then a few days ago, the Pakistani government went berserk.

On Thursday, the authorities put Ms. Mukhtaran under house arrest - to stop her from speaking out. In phone conversations in the last few days, she said that when she tried to step outside, police pointed their guns at her. To silence her, the police cut off her land line.

After she had been detained, a court ordered her attackers released, putting her life in jeopardy. That happened on a Friday afternoon, when the courts do not normally operate, and apparently was a warning to shut up. Instead, Ms. Mukhtaran continued her protests by cellphone...yesterday the police bustled her off, and there's been no word from her since.

Asma Jahangir said she had learned that Ms. Mukhtaran was taken to Islamabad, furiously berated and told that President Pervez Musharraf was very angry with her. She was led sobbing to detention at a secret location. She is barred from contacting anyone, including her lawyer.

I have no words for my outrage and disgust.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I would be happy to write a letter if someone has th time/capacity to get and post addresses. I remember hearing about her.

It enrages me that the us/bushco can [proclaim that one of the reasons we bombed afghanistan to smithereens was to liberate women, but then have nothing to say about this. And I don't just mean her; I read her story on her web page and it sounds like a not that uncommon situation.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadie_sabot
I would be happy to write a letter if someone has th time/capacity to get and post addresses.
I'm on it, if no one gets to it before I do. I'll have something up by tommorrow night, God-willing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, Sarihah. I hadn't heard about this until I read it here. i've been thinking about it all last night and today.

The ANAA site also has some email addresses of newspapers in Pakistan, and urges readers to write to their own newspapers and political leaders. They have a sample letter, if you need one.

And here is the Pakistani Ambassador's number, if you want to call:
Ambassador Mr. Jehangir Karamat (202) 243-6500 Ext. 2000 & 2001

Let's keep this thread up top!

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for being women who care so deeply. I wrote an email, but it seems that there should be so much more we could do. Meanwhile, I don't know what's happening to her, but I feel very afraid for her and furious that she's being raped AGAIN, psychologically and emotionally.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just sent this letter to everyone in my address book that I thought might be interested. I offer it to those who might not have time to draft their own, but want to get the word out.

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I hope this finds you all well. *insert personal anecdote here to let them know it's not a form letter*

Have you heard about Mukhtaran Bibi? It seems her story is getting very little press, and there are some things we can do to help make her situation better known, and thus to put some needed pressure on both the Pakistani government and on our own to help her. What is happening to her is outrageous. NPR reported this morning that she is being held by the Pakistani police without trial or access to a lawyer, and ANAA believes she is being coerced to make false public statements to the press. Her location is undisclosed.

You can read about her story here: NYT opinion piece
And here: Kristof's op-ed
Or hear an update with some background on NPR here: Bibi update
And get lots of information here: Asian-American Network Against Abuse of Women including a sample letter to send to President Musharraf, and the email addresses of some national Pakistani newspaper offices.

Thanks for your ear. History has shown in the case of Safiya Hussaini that international attention can cause a government to bring justice in cases like these. This is a rare situation in which our voices may make a huge difference in the life of one particularly courageous woman, and by her example, in the lives of countless others around the world.
Thanks, again, Sarihah,
Kam

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pakistan gang-rape victim free to go abroad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050615/...m/india_206061

"On the instruction of Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, the name of Mukhtaran Mai has been removed from the ECL," Interior Minister Aftab Ahmed Khan Sharpao told parliament, referring to an exit control list that prevents overseas travel.

"She is free to go anywhere. She can go wherever she wants," he said.

This story doesn't settle well with me. They say she's free to go wherever she wants, but nothing is said about her release from detention, nor does she issue any statement. : /

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yes, and now who's going to protect her from the 12 rapists set free on Friday?! And normally, she'd be there at the press conference (or statement release or whatever it was) to back up the government's claims of having released her.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Your fishy feeling was spot on, Sarihah.

She's "free" to "go" but not to the States. Not without a passport. Okay, we knew this guy was a thug, but under all this scrutiny, he stills feels okay with stating that Pakistan's tourist industry is more important than the safety and freedom of its citizens. Gon' shot hissef in da foot. At least I hope so.

Quote:
President General Pervez Musharraf said on Friday that he ordered a travel ban on Mukhtar Mai to protect Pakistan's image abroad.

Gen Musharraf said Mukhtar Mai, the victim of a punchayat-ordered gang rape, was being taken to the United States by foreign non-government organisations "to bad-mouth Pakistan" over the "terrible state" of the nation's women.
and this:

Quote:
"I am a realist. Public relations is the most important thing in the world," he said, adding that media misperceptions would discourage tourists from travelling to Pakistan.

"Pakistan is the victim of poor perceptions. The reality is very different," he said. He defended his regime's treatment of women, saying it was working for their emancipation.
Daily Times story 6/18

There is a press conference in NYC and a rally in DC next week. Anybody going?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts