Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/op...14kristof.html

She has...emerged as a ferocious spokeswoman against honor killings, rapes and acid attacks on women.

A group of Pakistani-Americans invited Ms. Mukhtaran to visit the U.S. starting this Saturday (see www.4anaa.org). Then a few days ago, the Pakistani government went berserk.

On Thursday, the authorities put Ms. Mukhtaran under house arrest - to stop her from speaking out. In phone conversations in the last few days, she said that when she tried to step outside, police pointed their guns at her. To silence her, the police cut off her land line.

After she had been detained, a court ordered her attackers released, putting her life in jeopardy. That happened on a Friday afternoon, when the courts do not normally operate, and apparently was a warning to shut up. Instead, Ms. Mukhtaran continued her protests by cellphone...yesterday the police bustled her off, and there's been no word from her since.

Asma Jahangir said she had learned that Ms. Mukhtaran was taken to Islamabad, furiously berated and told that President Pervez Musharraf was very angry with her. She was led sobbing to detention at a secret location. She is barred from contacting anyone, including her lawyer.

I have no words for my outrage and disgust.

· Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for being women who care so deeply. I wrote an email, but it seems that there should be so much more we could do. Meanwhile, I don't know what's happening to her, but I feel very afraid for her and furious that she's being raped AGAIN, psychologically and emotionally.

· Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pakistan gang-rape victim free to go abroad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050615/...m/india_206061

"On the instruction of Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, the name of Mukhtaran Mai has been removed from the ECL," Interior Minister Aftab Ahmed Khan Sharpao told parliament, referring to an exit control list that prevents overseas travel.

"She is free to go anywhere. She can go wherever she wants," he said.

This story doesn't settle well with me. They say she's free to go wherever she wants, but nothing is said about her release from detention, nor does she issue any statement. : /

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.