Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search on here and couldn't find this topic, I apologize if it has been covered already.

I just bought some cookies/and crackers from Trader Joes. I noticed that they had Palm Oil in them, mind you NOT palm Kernel oil, but palm oil. I've read very conflicting things about Palm Oil. One article said it was NOT saturated, many more said that it WAS saturated and was harmful.

I'm really at a loss. It seems like I can't get a straight answer. I know palm Kernel oil is bad for you, but what about just straight Palm Oil? Thanks to anyone who may be able to enlighten me!!

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
I guess it depends. Where my family is from in W. Africa, palm oil is the main cooking oil--the deep red kind that separates after a while. I often see palm oil as an ingredient in things instead of margarine or another hydrogenated fat and I can see how that *might* be better for you. It was really weird when I started seeing palm oil in baked stuff because it has such a strong flavor. I am guessing they have to refine it in some way to use it for baked stuff and that might change it somehow but I'm not sure. I still think it's better than hydrogenated fats any way you slice it.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
There have never, ever been any studies showing saturated fats from natural sources to be harmful. There were studies that lumped trans fats and naturally saturated fats together, and then said that all saturated fats were unhealthy, but no studies done on just natural fats such as palm or coconut oils and fats from healthy animals consuming a natural diet.

I vote for "palm oil is healthy" even if it is a highly refined, flavorless version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.