Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good remedies for panic attacks? I use rescue remedy which does help, but I am finding that the attacks are coinsiding with blacking out as well and I have a hard time getting back down to a calm level once risen on a panic attack. We lost a little girl at 32 weeks gestation and this is my first girl pregnancy since then. I never paniced with any of the boys. I'm not sure why I'm experiencing panic again this pregnancy, but I did with our first daughter too right before we lost her. And this pregnancy has been on and off with panic and black outs. I've had my sugars tested and the are fine. My hemmoglobin is great. My blood pressure is low though and I get dizzy a lot. But my main concern is the panic. I try to deep breathe and pray through them. Can anyone offer remedies that work or help with this? :0)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I'm sure it IS hard! I would probably be experiencing the same thing!

Skullcap and valerian, used judiciously, not frequently, are both safe in pregnancy and really help with anxiety especially.

Be sure you are drinking enough water and try using some herbs to help increase your blood pressure just a little such as licorice or rosemary.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi!
I'm so sorry to hear you are having panic attacks and that you lost your daughter at 32 weeks. If it helps at all..I'm there with you (sort of) my Brother and SIL lost their son at 32 weeks last April. I'm now 32 weeks (with what I believe is a boy) and my panic is incredible.

I've found homeopathic gelsemium to work wonders for me. Sometimes Ignatia helps more at night.

I've also found that when I first feel the panic symptoms if I just sit down and say to my body "ok, alright- pass out and get down with it" it sometimes stops the cycling. It's almost as if the moment I give in to the panic it begins to subside.

I hope it gets better for your soon!
Wendy

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thank you both soo much!!
Where do you get your homeopathic remedies. I'm going to have to look for those! I look forward to some relief! :0)

On another note, I think you are right too about giving in or surrendering to the panic. I have yet to do that. I go in such fear that it makes it hard ot surrender and I go in survival mode!

Thanks again so much for sharing!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I get the homeopathic remedies at either our natural food store or at Wild Oats/Whole Foods. They are pretty common remedies and homeopathy is supposed to be safe in pregnancy.

I know what you mean about survival mode- the first time I surrendered it was out of desperation- I just felt like I couldn't do the black out/panic one more time- and then the giving in helped. It shocked me- it still shocks me that it continues to work.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Homeopathic calms forte works well too. It is by Hylands and available at most health food stores. Or you can google it and order it online.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
How far along are you? Before I was pregnant, I would take a benzo for panic, but those are DEFINITELY out now. I haven't had a panic attack yet, and I'm in my first trimester, but I used to sip on red wine when I couldn't have a benzo or didn't want one, and that would calm my panic as well. In my first trimester, I won't be having a glass or anything, but a couple of sips might just take the edge off enough to help me relax the rest of the way naturally.

Also, I would get yourself someone to talk to. Talking through your fears with a professional is a great way to give you an overall sense of calm. HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.