Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i know i should be feeling very thankful b/c we just managed to buy a house (in a very crazy housing market here!) but the way we managed to get it was to give a closing date 8 days before i am due!! the reason the family doesnt want to move before that is that the momma in the house is having her first babe!!

so i keep saying yeah well i will give birth wherever my bed is and trying not to worry BUT my big fear is that the baby is going to come early, i will be completely overwhelmed and everything will fall apart!!

i have 2 whole months to get most of the packing done and we will have movers etc BUT the last time i gave birth, it was swell and all but i didnt leave the house for a couple of weeks afterwards. my first trip out was to see the MW but that was low stress b/c they kept saying i could cancel at any point.

i have my sister to help out and i guess i have to make peace that the whole damn thing (the move not to mention the birth) is outa my hands. ok, i just had another sickening thought...what if this birth doesnt go as smoothly and i end up in hospital??? i think it is about control. let go. right??

breathe and let go.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
to you!!! Talk about adding a little stress to your pregnancy! As in most cases, your fears will probably be worse than the reality of the situation, but even knowing that, it's not easy. Would it help you feel better / in more control if you arranged for friends and family to help you out for the week before and three weeks after the move so that no matter when you have baby, you'll be able to sit back and relax and no worry so much about everything?

If it helps you feel better, I knew a woman whose house (they were renting) was bought by a new owner and they had to move out (their lease was up and they weren't given the option to renew). They found a house to buy and closed on it two days after her due date. Baby waited until their bed was set up (the first thing they did!) and she went into labor the night after the big move (still boxes everywhere). She gave birth in the wee hours of the morning and at 8AM her family and friends showed up to help unpack boxes, etc. and were surprised to find her in bed with a newborn! She and baby got doted on for the next three weeks while friends and family unpacked her house, brought/prepared 3 meals a day, did laundry, etc. She didn't have to do anything except be with baby for those first three weeks - she was in heaven. She said it was the easiest move ever!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
momto3,
your reply really helped. it brought tears to my eyes b/c it reinforced the original idea i had that all would be ok...i mean my bed would be there and everything else will fall into place one way or another.

i have arranged for my dtr to be in daycare 2 days a week for all of august and september so i can get organized and my sis is committed to helping me since i paid for $700 worth of car repairs for her when she was desperate. i started calling movers today and hunting for boxes. i am sure it will be ok. i think i am mostly hormonally panicky about the whole scene and the reality will be ok. we have both places for september so nothing has to be done overnight. i also have a grandma neighbour type who has offered to do childcare for free if needed. so really i have to focus on my blessings!!

thanks for your reply and hugs katt!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
HEy mama,
take a deep breath

Could you rally friends around yourself to help you with a move in party, so that you can at least have your house in semi-organized order before baby is born? Personally, I think that the babe might know that you need her/him to wait until you're ready...

If it were me, I would call my closest friends, set up a chair in the living room, and tell them (nicely of course) where everything should go to organize the house. Then, buy them all pizza and beer. I have had a few moves where I've had to rely completely on friends to help out because of a bad back and the inability to lift anything, so I know how hard it can be to ask and then just sit there.

But i would be willing to bet that a few people would be willing to coem and help and would even enjoy being in your company before the baby is born and things get crazy.

Peace to you.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm "due" the 1st week of sept.... my lease is up sept. 1.

We are trying to move out by mid august...there are several things going on and now we have to look for another place. None of my family or friends live even remotely close by, but DPs mom lives 70 miles from us...so i know she'd be willing to help out with things like buying groceries and stuff... Then there are DPs friends...although I am a little weary if the baby comes early and suddenly there are all these people around helping... I get this feeling I won't wanna be seen!
So i've talked to DP and basically he's accepted the fact that he'll be doing most of the moving, (with whatever friends want to help out...and MIL)... and that if the baby comes early... to also TRY to give me some sort of privacy and just keep me comfortable-- STRESS FREEEEE.
My top priority: no stress.... I want this birth to go smoothly, so it will.

And I don't really care if I look like some "priss" or whatever for not doing things, or avoiding the situation completely at times when I feel some stress and tension coming on.... my baby comes first...therefore I come first

(I've talked to DP about all these fears and that the only way that this UC birth can go the way I want it to--or at least close to it-- is if my fears can be worked through and turned into fact/solutions. So we talked about each one and he's been pretty good about taking on the load--or at least finding others who will help with the load)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Another person I can go crazy with
We having a closing date of August 22nd and I'm due Sep 7th. It's nervewracking! Julia was born at 38 weeks. Megan was born 11 days after the due date. So there is no telling when the baby is going to arrive. I hope we have a few things unpacked before I go into labor!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You are not alone. Dh and I are hoping to either be moving right around the time this baby is born, or to at least have an accepted offer. It should be very interesting... It is already a toss-up as to which will come first the start of school or the baby. So why not add in the extra unknown? I am sure we will all make it through just fine. It is a bit nerve wracking in the meantime though.

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
I'm good at packing. If I were close I'd come help you pack. START NOW! Last year when we moved, I thought I'd go nuts doing it alone (dh helped some when it came down to crunch time) with my 2 yr old, but I did pretty well.

First: pack away all seasonal items, and lable every box with detailed information!!
Second: pack away everything you don't usually use, and throw out everything you don't want or need!! Moving is a great time for declutter. BUT, never throw away decorations of any kind, you may kick yourself later.
Third: pack clothes in garbage bags, but first take stuff you no longer want or wear (didn't wear before pregnancy) to MUST or the Salvation Army
Finally, pack away plates and bowls about 3 weeks before you move, glasses too. You can use washable plastic stuff that you can throw into a bag before you leave! Oh, and plan as many meals as possible between now and then and put away cookware you won't need!

moving is a PITA! But hey, it's gotta happen. Above is how I moved us out in less than 8 weeks! When dh was home, he went through his clothes, and other stuff and got rid of things first, then he packed up things important to him, magazines books ect. That way too, if something of value to him broke, it wasn't my fault LOL.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow!!! thanks for all the advice and comforting words. i somehow feel better that i am not alone. not the only momma to be in this crazy-makin situation!!!

today at my playgroup, a mom that i really like said she lives right around the corner from me and would be glad to help unpack or watch my 2 year old!! i wanted to cry b/c it was just what i needed to hear and she was so genuine and kind about it all!!

i think i will get started asap and declutter and start packing. i think once i see things start moving along i will feel better. good luck to all the others who are moving too. we should form a mini support moving group!! september moms on the move!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts