Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my birth center paperwork appt this morning, everything is turned in and ready to go, now I just have to make it to Sept 4th (when I'm officially 37 weeks) and I can have this baby!!

The appt went well, the nurse that was there was the same one that did the orientation class, and I really like her. She's studying to be a CNM, so we chatted about that a little, talked about home birthing and the positives/negatives of legalizing it in our state (legalizing it=regulating it, which could be good and bad).

I got a little nervous when she started asking me a bunch of questions about Connor's birth and his syndrome, I was afraid she would risk me out of the birth center, but turns out she just had never heard of his syndrome and wanted to research it herself. She said if my OB is okay with me birthing there, then she certainly is (I don't even know if she has the authority to risk me out if an OB has signed off on the paperwork).

We did have a chat about circumcision...I told her we absolutely wouldn't be doing it. Then later she mentioned that if I call the birth center when I'm in labor and they don't answer, it might be because they're with a mom who's delivering, or they're assisting with a circ. I said "do you HAVE to assist with circs? What if you don't believe in them?" She said "well, the dr needs help, so yeah, we have to go." I said "I'm SO against it from a moral/ethical standpoint that I would refuse to attend a circ, and I'd relieve any other nurse so she could take my place instead." She said "yeah, it's never fun." I was kind of disappointed, actually, I thought it would strike up a conversation about the topic.

On the paperwork it asked me how I'm going to arrange for help with caring for the baby and myself when I'm released, and I put down the usual (husband, my mom who will be here for a week) and I also put down that I have contacts in LaLeche League and Dar A Luz, and she had never heard of DAL, so she asked me for their webpage and asked a little about the organization. It surprised me she hadn't heard of them.

After the appt, I stopped at the lab for the last of my blood word (CBC to check platelets and iron).

My next OB appt is Sept 4th, the day I'm 37 weeks!! I'd prefer to deliver around 38 weeks, that's when my other two came, and it just works better in our schedule

Wow, this is getting real!!

· Registered
492 Posts
Crazy real!!! Sounds like a big green light next week! You and I are in a race I see! I'm thinking the 4th is the full moon?? Also a big thanks for passing on DaL
The more it gets out the better!

· Registered
1,332 Posts
i did this last week and it was a great feeling! there was no real discussion about things, just are you going to circ? (no please don't put scissors to my babys penis kthnx), vitamin K, eye goop, all that stuff.

i have to get my birth plan done so i can give that to them, since we are at a birth center and the midwife on call will be the one who delivers for us. they actually encourage birth plans!

i am 37 weeks so i am good to go!

lets start getting these babies out now

· Registered
3,150 Posts
Wow I can't believe it 10 days. I think we have the same EDD. I am hoping I go either a few days early or a few day late. But not near my edd. My doula will be away three days ( I do have a backup) and my parents will be away the same time
:. Let's just say my mother is a poor planner. (I will post later on that one)

· Registered
883 Posts
It is so exciting to fianlly get things in order. 10 days will fly right by. I was thinking August would creep by b/c I feel like a little kid waiting to open christmas presents...but clearly August flew by. I am not sure where it went, but it seems like Aug 1st was just the other day...and all the sudden, september 1st is less than a week away. WOWEEE!

· Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by acemama View Post
Crazy real!!! Sounds like a big green light next week! You and I are in a race I see! I'm thinking the 4th is the full moon?? Also a big thanks for passing on DaL
The more it gets out the better!
Yes, let the race begin!
You usually go a bit early too, don't you? Both my other boys were born at 38 weeks.

Sept 4th is a full moon, huh? Well...Dr H is on that weekend, so that's good, but I was actually hoping to deliver the NEXT weekend (although that means Dr W, and while I don't dislike him, I also don't click with him). But delivering the 11th/12th just works better for my schedule, since this is absolutely my last baby, is it too much to ask that he comes when I want him to??

And I'm still surprised she hadn't heard of Dar A Luz...Weird.

· Registered
3,150 Posts
Just Curious? The Birthcenter you are going to uses Dr.'s not Midwives. Or is it just a Birthcenter but not a midwifery based one. I got confused because you go to an OB but you said you were birthing at the birthcenter...I have pregnancy brain so don't mind my confusion. And what is Dar A Luz I have never heard of it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Yes, let the race begin!
You usually go a bit early too, don't you? Both my other boys were born at 38 weeks.

Sept 4th is a full moon, huh? Well...Dr H is on that weekend, so that's good, but I was actually hoping to deliver the NEXT weekend (although that means Dr W, and while I don't dislike him, I also don't click with him). But delivering the 11th/12th just works better for my schedule, since this is absolutely my last baby, is it too much to ask that he comes when I want him to??

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post

never heard of it over here. What is it?

· Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
Just Curious? The Birthcenter you are going to uses Dr.'s not Midwives. Or is it just a Birthcenter but not a midwifery based one. I got confused because you go to an OB but you said you were birthing at the birthcenter...I have pregnancy brain so don't mind my confusion. And what is Dar A Luz I have never heard of it as well.
Yes, it's an OB at a birth center. Odd, huh? The birth center is literally attached to the regular L&D, so the OB can jump back and forth between L&D and the center. But the "rules" are very much different! No drugs available, water births allowed, monitoring is different, it's a living room/bedroom type environment. But literally down the hall is regular L&D, down another hall is an OR, and a floor away is NICU. With my birth history, it made my husband very nervous to even talk about a home birth, and he was nervous about this center too, until he saw how everything "medical" is still accessible. So it's a good compromise for us...although I'm secretly hoping to just UC, my last labor was only 2 hours of active labor, so if this one goes any faster, I won't make the 30 minute drive anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deymm View Post
never heard of it over here. What is it?
http://www.daraluznetwork.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.