Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is possibly an issue for me based on hair tests and that vit d and mag make me super sleepy. When I google the only treatment that comes up is surgery. Are there any other options? I'm familiar with treating the thyroid and adrenals with foods, vitamins or glandulars, does that not exist for parathyroid?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know what the hair tests were for, but I recently got my parathyroid level checked b/c Vit. D makes me feel terrible. Really really awful. And someone on this board mentioned parathyroid disease could be at play. Turns out mine is fine, and my Vit. D level is okay, a bit low (25) but I don't take a supplement, nor is our milk fortified w/it.

I'd get your level checked first, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
You may not have a parathyroid issue. It's very rare but it does happen (my sister had this). You need tested for it and hair testing is not the test. You need a blood calcium level to start. http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-symptoms.htm I imagine you found this site? If not it is very good.

No, if you have a diseased parathyroid you have a tumor on it (not cancer, but a tumor). You will not get better until you have surgery to remove and then you will fully recover nearly immediately w/ a 20 minute surgery. This is extremely hard on the body and damaging and in fact life shortening as it goes untreated. There is lots of information on that website. But don't jump in your mind to fear of surgery when you don't even know if this is your issue. Read up so you know what tests you need and you know if they are normal (many doctors are entirely unaware of parathyroid disease because it is rare and will tell you that a calcium of 10 for example is normal or wait and see if it goes down when it is certainly not and waiting means more damage). There is lots of good information on that site and if you have abnormal labs you go to a doctor experienced in this area.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I'm in the same boat and just wanted to say "hi". I did have blood work done that indicates that I have a parathyroid problem. The first sign was a high calcium level, which is what prompted them to test my parathyroid, too. So, the next test is a radiology scan, which I will have on Thursday. I think they are doing the scan to locate exactly where it is so that it can be easily removed.

I have deliberately NOT googled anything about it, because I have a tendency to fear the worst and overreact, etc. I am hoping and praying for the best.

The one puzzling thing about my labs is that I am breastfeeding a 5 month old, and nobody knows what normal levels should be when you are lactating, not even my midwife and her OB office.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Let us know what you find out, and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! I still need to get my calcium level tested. I have a mercury issue and I hope that getting it out will help my body go back to normal.
So I won't do any serious treatment until after chelating. We're in 'happy valley'

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
brinalicious, you'll feel really good when you get the diseased parathyroid out. Even people who think they feel fine realize they were sick when they feel so much better afterward. The surgery is a good thing.

linguistmama, parathyroid disease has nothing to do w/mercury levels and you aren't going to get rid of a tumor w/chelation. So if the calcium comes back high please don't delay getting help. Time wasted is body damage you can't reverse.

·
Registered
497 Posts
sbgrace, thank you so much. I think I just needed someone to tell me that. I'm having my scan to locate the funky one tomorrow. Do you know anything about the procedure used to remove it? Is in inpatient or outpatient? Thanks for anything you can offer!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
sbgrace, thank you so much. I think I just needed someone to tell me that. I'm having my scan to locate the funky one tomorrow. Do you know anything about the procedure used to remove it? Is in inpatient or outpatient? Thanks for anything you can offer!
You're going to do great.

You want the minisurgery. Go ahead and read this so you can make sure this is what they are going to do but I imagine it is (that's why they are looking for the funky one!) http://www.parathyroid.com/mini-surgery.htm This is the surgery you want and what experienced surgeons would I assume be using. It's what my sister had and that was quite a number of years ago now (she's doing wonderfully).

Quote:

Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Does it matter if I get the calcium ionized serum or the plain calcium serum test?
You want serum calcium levels checked. I post a link below and it explains why in the "smart info" colored section about mid-page. Just ask the doctor run your calcium level for you. Read this so you know what is really normal (10 is not normal no matter what the lab says) and you can provide your doctor with information to help you. http://www.parathyroid.com/diagnosis.htm

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
My serum calcium was 8.9 so that's far enough under 10 to be ok right?

That's a normal calcium level. It can fluctuate to normal at times in someone w/this disease so you'd want a retest if you strongly suspect but I don't think you've really got strong reason to suspect, right? Yay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.