Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has been in a "Montessori" school for 3 years. I used quotation marks because the school has walked away from the Montessori philosophy in the last year but still they kept the materials. Then we relocated to another country where I could not find any montessori school for him so I put him in an international school which is rather of the main-stream type. My son's teacher has different educational beliefs and uses lots of rewards and punishment in the classroom. They do lots of worksheets which are really easy for my son. The teacher has been trying to accommodate to my son's ability by giving him more challenging worksheets, but only when he finishes the easy ones. And my son has been telling me that things at school are easy and boring. I myself is a strong supporter and believer of the Montessori philosophy and I have always used the intrinsic motivation and guided him following his ability and interests. Right now, I have been struggling a lot with how to work with my son given the different messages he has been receiving from his teacher.

I would like to see if there are others like me who would like to put the child in a montessori environment but are not able to. How would you deal with all these differences between your belief and the teachers' belief?

Regards,
Kit

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Our message to our son is always, "In our family, we do ____. Sometimes your teachers or the school will expect _____. We always expect you to be respectful of your teacher, even if our family disagrees."

Even if the teacher focuses on rewards and punishments, you can discuss behavior without paying attention to the rewards and punishments.

All the adults in a child's life don't need to be lockstep in order for a child to be successful, and in all honesty, rewards and punishments are a part of even the adult working world, so eventually your child will encounter them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.