Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're about to attend our first parent/teacher conference for our kindergartener (public school).<br><br>
I'm not entirely sure what to expect, or what I should ask, and I'm just starting to research that a little bit. It's a 15 minute meeting and I'd like to use the time wisely.<br><br>
Anyone have any important tips? TIA

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
We just had ours, although we had 30 minutes (and I stayed for 45). Ours is a charter school though, so they do things differently. I would prepare yourself ahead of time for the meeting. Think about the most important areas of your child's kindergarten experience to you right now, write down any questions or concerns you may have. If you want to be involved in the class, think about ways you can contribute, write those down to share w/the teacher. I am big on writing things down, bc when you are rushed and/or stressed sometimes your agenda can be replaced by the teacher's. And it is important that you both be heard. Lastly, if you feel you did not have enough time, ask to set up another appointment asap. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I agree with PP. Write down all of your concerns and questions that YOU have. Try and schedule the conference for a time of day that's not as busy for the teacher (I always request first thing in the AM, as most of the parents want afternoon/evening meetings because of job issues) and I usually get a double spot this way.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
My suggestion for a 15 min. meeting, is be prepared to not have enough time to get your questions answered. At our school (one of my only complaints) there is not enough time and the teachers usually have a 'presentation' of sorts, of my child's portfolio of work. They also explain curriculum and what's to come, leaving about 1 minute for all my teeny questions about social life, stress, etc. So I would prepare for possible frustration, or prepare to schedule some additional time just after when you can get your questions answered.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great suggestions! thank you.<br><br>
Does anyone have examples of good questions to ask?

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
I usually try to get a flavor for the social situation and how my child/ren are behaving/adding to the classroom. What do they especially enjoy? What is hard for them? I want to see if the teacher is "getting" my child so I know whether I can trust the grades. Sometimes there are specific situations I like to check in on, like if my child is having trouble with a certain subject, or friend.<br><br>
In k-garten, I would think you'd want information mostly about social stuff, and how your child is enjoying and making use of the classroom opportunities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts