Mothering Forum banner

Do your kids wear sunscreen to school daily?

• Yes

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 79.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
....feeling guilty here, I can safely say my ds has never been sunburned but I sure have not put sunscreen on him daily, we have had a number of lotion in the eyes incidents that leave us both squeamish in using it all the time...hats definitely.

· Registered
3,435 Posts
Yes, daily. It is a habit I got into when they were in daycare, In the summer months they requested that parents put sunblock on the children before dropping them off. They would reapply around lunchtime. This year I slacked a little and my dd has pink cheeks.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
I put it on dd, that has very fair skin, in the spring and fall, in the winter they often don't go outside, and even if they do I figure dd could probably use 20 minutes of sunlight as it's often dark within 2 hrs of her coming home!

· Registered
4,399 Posts
we're in socal, and no, I don't. I slather it on when we're out for extended periods of time, but at the same time I don't want to use it too much. Her recess periods are 10 minutes (4 a day) so I feel comfortable not having sunblock on her.

She does take riding lessons for an hour in an unshaded ring-she gets some then.

· Registered
7,957 Posts
no, her playground has a lot of trees. some of the other moms did, bbut i never saw the need to. she's not super fair (as in red head with freckles like one of the other kids) and i haven't noticed her getting pink. she does have a little bit of a tan now (slight), but i'm of the camp that thinks they need some sun.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
No, I'm one of those people that questions what is worse - the sun or the sunscreen. I'm not convinced that sunscreen is harmless. However, I do put it on if we are out for extended periods of time. We are all fair too. My ds has never gotten a burn in school. They only have 25 minutes of outdoor recess. I will probably put it on a few areas that are prone to burn when he goes to camp this summer and will be swimming. I'll cover his back, neck, ears and face, but that'll be it.

· Registered
9,061 Posts
Well I am definitely sure sunscreen is worse than the sun, but my kids are fair skinned, especially my redhead DD, so if she is going to be out in the sun for an extended time, if she won't wear protective clothing, then I put sunblock on her and leave some with her to reapply as she sees fit. Same with DS, except I put only on his face, neck and shoulders, and if he is in soccer camp, his knees. I never put sunscreen on them at school, but DD who only goes to school part-time, carries some in her backpack and it is up to her whether she chooses to use it or not.

· Registered
9,015 Posts
Nope

When they go to school in the morning they are outside for 15-20minutes. At first recess it is another 15minutes. At noon they get 55 or 65minutes, about 20 of that is eating. At last recess it is another 15minutes. IF they go outside for gym it is about 20-30minutes.

It is rare for it to get in temps hot enough for them to need it during the school year. We did have a period a couple of weeks ago where we had mid July-Aug temps but I didn't send it with them either.

If they are doing an all day/half day outside thing then yes I do & send the bottle(and cringe when I see how much they've used,lol)

ie, track & field I sent it and I was there most of the day too. I didn't put any on me & the other 2 kids though. They got a little red(pretty much gone the next day), my nose & shoulders were red for a bit longer. At Family Fun Day in a couple of weeks they'll have some on. Then again next Friday when the school busses them all to the park.

Those are really the only times they get it at school.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
I just am not convinced that sunscreen isn't harmful. But...... on my two fairest there have been occasions where I put sunscreen on their necks before school because in just 15-25 minute recess they were coming home with sunburned necks (In FL sun is brutal by April- May, right before school is out and in Aug, Sept when school jsut begins.)...... I just do not do it ALL the time.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kewb View Post
Yes, daily. It is a habit I got into when they were in daycare, In the summer months they requested that parents put sunblock on the children before dropping them off. They would reapply around lunchtime. This year I slacked a little and my dd has pink cheeks.
Good for them for requiring the parents to take care of this. I used to do my rotation at a cooperative nursery school, and at least half of the parents would leave bottles of sunblock and mosquito repellant and request that the teacher's aide apply it. The outdoor time started approximately one hour after arriving at school.

It was a major challenge to put lace-up shoes and socks (and various jackets, hats, and mittens depending on the weather) on 14 three and four year old kids and apply sunscreen and/or repellant on seven of them (the majority of those kids did NOT want those lotions and sprays applied to them) , while the kids were all waiting and eager to get outside. The teacher was too fast and had other tasks so the outdoor prep job always went to the parent aide, so the teacher didn't have much incentive to put a stop to this unreasonable request.

· Registered
452 Posts
My kid's school is not authorized to put anything into or onto a child unless specifically requested by the parent.

They do expect parents to suncscreen their children before school. I do religiously.

My 7 year old son I just apply to his face and arms and neck (and shoulders if visible). A moderate amount applied in the AM lasts him through the whole day (even on aftercare days, 9:00-4:30).

My red haired, freckled four year old? SLATHERED in the AM and reapplied before aftercare (3:00 - 4:30).

BUT my kid's school is very different, in that they spend large portions of the day outside. Often up to two hours a day (three if in aftercare).

Given my daughter's skin in particular, I like the idea of sunscreen being one of those "gotta do" things. Shower, brush hair and teeth, floss, suncscreen breakfast. I'm hoping to set the stage for a lifetime of skincare.

I may feel differently if my kids weren't so fair (especially DD).

· Registered
797 Posts
I voted yes, but honestly I don't put it on my older dd before school unless it is unseasonably hot because there is a lot of shade at her school and she has somewhat olive skin. With my younger dd, it goes on every day when it will be above 70 degrees because she is extremely fair and the playground at her school has very bright, direct sun with much of it unshaded. But when they have camp, they are outside so much that sunscreen goes on every morning as part of our routine.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Yes, I do although when she is at home all day she rarely wears it. The playgrounds at dd's school don't have much shade and they get longer recess periods as she is currently in a pre-k summer program. She also has a hat that her teacher reminds her to put on prior to going outside. We live in FL and I don't usually have the kids outside from 10-3 to keep them out of the worst of the sun. Other then that we use sunscreen that is ranked well at http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ I had gotten a free bottle of Coppertone Kid's sunscreen through bzzagent stuff and will never put that on dd again. She ended up with a horrid allergic reaction to it that looked almost like a chemical burn.

· Registered
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting -- from the posts in another thread, I would have thought there would be many more "yes" answers.

On a side note, I went shopping for sunscreen today, and there wasn't a single bottle of anything below SPF 15 for sale! I remember when that used to be the "high" SPF. I've always been pretty careful with my skin, but I admit to preferring to use more like an SPF 8 to try to get a *little* color on my fish-belly-white thighs.

· Registered
14,304 Posts
I have never felt to need to use sun screen on dd before school as a matter of fact until this thread I never even thought about.

· Registered
6,285 Posts
No, not usually. Their outside time starts a few hours after he gets to school, so it would be pointless to put it on at home. Plus, for recess they're generally in a pretty shaded area and I like for him to get a little sun.

The only exception is when they have some sort of activity (field day, field trip, picnic, etc.) that starts earlier. Then I put a moisturizing lotion that has SPF 18 on him and send him to school with sun cream. They're good about putting it on him.

I don't use chemical sun creams, so I'm not as concerned about potential harm.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
If it's going to be a sunny day I put sunscreen on my ds before he goes to school. Sometimes he reapplies himself for the afternoon recess. He is outside from 10:30-11:00am and 1:30-2pm, is fair-skinned with red hair so it's important to us. He also wears a sunhat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.