Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on these forums about homeschool groups getting together for "park days". If you participate In these...how often do you gather? Is it just what it sounds like...a meet-up at a park with no agenda?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Our have usually been weekly during the spring and fall (winter here being all about skiing, and not conducive to playing in the park). Once in a while there will be an email from someone the day before, like "Amelia has made a whole lot of hula hoops, and would love to do some hooping, so bring yours if you have one, and there will be some extras, and she's happy to help out anyone who is new to it" or "As we mentioned last week it's Caleb's birthday, so we'll be bringing cupcakes and a scavenger hunt game" or "looks like rain, so why doesn't everyone bring their favourite board game and we'll meet under the gazebo."

Miranda

·
Registered
506 Posts
We did this last year. It still goes on to my knowledge but we've been schedule conflicted. We would meet every Fri. & go walk beside the river on the bike trail (the main point was to observe seasonal changes) moms would get exercise & brain storm, some children would run/ bike/ scooter together, some would pick flowers, add to a leaf/ rock/ mushroom collection, watch birds, exclaim over how high/low the river was & back to the shelter for a picnic lunch. Then they would play together for a couple of hours, & us moms would talk of concerts, lessons, news, whatever. It was a lot of fun & filled a social need we had.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The homeschool group is having park days in my area this year. Every Wednesday at a different park around town (town has many, many parks) and they are going from mid-May to the end of August (I think). We homeschool year-round but still want to make it to a few of them. So far it's just meet up and hang out, no set plans.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
WE used to go when ds was little. Just what it says 'park day' usually lots of kids, lots of moms (and dads too)... kids play, parents talk, some pack a picnic for their family... we enjoyed it. - once we found a secular group. kids age out around 10-12 or that was what we found....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts