Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some serious trouble with breastfeeding, and a woman from MilkShare has kindly offered to donate a freezer full of breastmilk for my baby.

I live in Dutchess county and she's in NYC (near Central Park). My problem is going to pick it up - neither my husband nor I have any experience driving in the city.

I thought it might be a good idea to drive in as close as we can, park our car someplace and take a taxi into the city to pick up the milk. My husband is just not keen on trying to drive into the city - especially with a new baby in the car.

I would go down either the Taconic parkway or I-87 - does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be a good place to park for a couple hours?

I'm honestly not sure if this is even feesible, but figured I would give it a try. I would just take the train in, but she's got way too much milk for us to carry back.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Why not take MetroNorth in, or get to a subway station in the Bronx and head in that way? Might be cheaper, easier and faster! Though, you will have to take a cooler (2? How much is she giving you?) with you, which is allowed but maybe a pain on the trains and stairs at subway stations, especially with a baby in tow.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Can you get down to the Lincoln Tunnel? Right after the tunnel there is an entrance (almost immediately - blink and you'll miss it) into the Port Authority parking garage. Pull right in, park, I think it might be $20 but you won't have to worry about trains and subways with a cooler of milk.

If she can meet you there with the cooler, even better, but you can pick up a taxi right out front to go to her place as well.

Then drive right out of the garage into the tunnel again, and you almost don't have to drive in the city at all.

I know it might be adding too much to your drive, but I thought I'd throw it out there -- this is what we do almost every time we have to go into the city.

I-87 > Garden State Parkway south > Route 3 East

Then follow signs for the Lincoln Tunnel.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Its not difficult to drive into the city at an off time. Like early on a Sunday morning. I've only driven in the city once but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. NY can be pretty quiet at off times and on Sundays you can find free parking. I personally think that would be easier than trying to lug coolers of milk on public transportation.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marisa724 View Post
Can you get down to the Lincoln Tunnel? Right after the tunnel there is an entrance (almost immediately - blink and you'll miss it) into the Port Authority parking garage. Pull right in, park, I think it might be $20 but you won't have to worry about trains and subways with a cooler of milk.

If she can meet you there with the cooler, even better, but you can pick up a taxi right out front to go to her place as well.

Then drive right out of the garage into the tunnel again, and you almost don't have to drive in the city at all.

I know it might be adding too much to your drive, but I thought I'd throw it out there -- this is what we do almost every time we have to go into the city.

I-87 > Garden State Parkway south > Route 3 East

Then follow signs for the Lincoln Tunnel.
Please don't follow Marisa's directions, (sorry Marisa) it will take you so out of your way for no good reason.
NOt the way to get here !!!!!!!!!!!!

I live by Central Park it is so easy to get here from Westchester, get on the Saw Mill Parkway south, turns into the Henry Hudson Parkway south and get off at an exit near her house ( what are her cross streets I can tell you the exit).

You are here!
This is the Upper westside of Manhattan it is only 4 or 5 blocks from the highway to Central Park.

From the HHP exit to CPW is literally only 4 or 5 blocks. EASY!

Go with your husband on a Saturday or Sunday morning and Double park in front of her building, you run up to her apartment to get the milk. Or she will run down to give it to you.

The Upper west side is a beautiful safe quiet residential neighborhood. YOu can find street parking, or there is parking garages all over the place usually about $30 to park for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Not at all, I appreciate the correction! It's easy for us to use that method to get in and out of the city, but I have no idea how it works from NY state! Sorry!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.