Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in this forum!<br><br>
I brought a Parsleyworm (also known as celeryworm) in off my parsley plant and put it in a sprouting jar with parsley that was in a mini vase, dirt, and sticks for the worm to make a chrysalis on. The Parsleyworm ate a ton of parsley and yesterday morning made its way to the stick and just stayed there. I went to bed at midnight, and it was still a catepillar. I did a google search to see if I was doing this right, and wondering how long it would take to become a chrysalis, but alas -- I could not find a thing online!!! I thought for sure there would be a "science at home" website that detailed how to do it, but I could not find anything. Mostly, I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right.<br><br>
Lo and behold!!! I awoke at 3:00 with an engorged and leaky boob and came downstairs to pump (but of course baby woke up 5 minutes after I left the bed, so I just nursed) -- and the catepillar had completely become a chrysalis! Shucks! I wanted to watch and take photos! Anyway, it is so cool!<br><br>
Does anyone know how long they stay as a chrysalis? Also, the chrysalis/stick is near the side of the glass jar... is that too close for the swallowtail butterfly to spread open its wings? Should I try to reposition it? Anything else I need to do to ensure that it doesn't die? A friend said she tried to do this and the butterfly never emerged. Anyone know of a website that details how to do this?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you are talking about a Black Swallowtail which are commonly referred to as a parsley worm, it will take about 10-14 days to eclose from the chrysalis.<br><br>
Depending on where it is in the container you may want to reposition it. When they come out they like to hang upside down so their wings can hang free while they pump fluid into them. If the wings are obstructed they can dry crumpled and deformed. It is easy to move and affix them to something else, I don't have time at the moment but I will come back later and give more detailed instructions.<br><br>
As far as your friends chrysalis never eclosing a very very small percentage of caterpillars actually make it to maturity. Caterpillars have so many creatures that prey on them or parasitize them. IME when a caterpillar fails to eclose it has been parasitized or but there are other reasons as well.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you thank you thank you for great information!!! Wow - it took 3 hours to make a chrysalis, but it will take two weeks to turn into a butterfly! Huh... whoda thought!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts