Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in Canada, and are strongly considering public school next year for our kids. The pull to put them in is pretty much entirely language based. I am a francophone, partnered with an anglophone and our "family" language is English. My first child spoke only French until she was 3, and was very verbal, but I sort of lost my oomph, I think, and she quickly transitioned to calling things by both words (ie: pomme-apple instead of simply pomme), and then to entirely English. I have entirely fallen off the language wagon and they are essentially monolingual at this point.
We can put them into french school, where they will also get remedial french resources on a daily basis next year. Currently, my 1st grader is going in for 40 minutes, 4 times a week for this french pull-out session, and it's been a positive thing. (aside from a few bits I'm not in love with, like a rewards jar. I don't necessarily have a problem with the concept, but I don't use rewards like that with my kids)
Anyway, just trying to figure out if part-time school is an option, and how that might work. I don't know of anyone in our province who is doing anything like this. Ideally, I would like to just keep them both in the french pull-out, and would also love to have them in music. Does anyone do this?! How? I don't even know how to present it to the school. They're pretty horrified that we've been homeschooling, even though it was presented in the context of "we were out of the country where public school wasn't an option". Our older child is at grade level in math (although we've been using a completely different curriculum) and is reading, although I would say more at a "meets expectations" level than an "exceeds expectations" level. She's definitely the sort of kid who does things when she's ready to do them and not a second earlier! My younger child appears to be picking up the French a lot faster.
Anyway, I have a problem with making posts too long, apparently! I know this sort of thing is an option in BC (right?), but I've never heard about it in the Maritimes. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have an online friend who did something similar in NS. She had homeschooled her three school-age kids all along but felt they weren't getting nearly enough French at home, so they developed a relationship with a nearby French school. I think her ds10 attended part-time for French only (as in, French Language Arts) for most of a year, while her middle kids attended full-time. I believe all her kids are in school full-time now or will be by next fall.

I'm in BC where part-time attendance has been allowed at the high school level for years and has recently (with some growing pains) trickled down through Grades 8/9 to the K-7 levels. Unofficially though, some small open-minded schools like our rural K-12 school have allowed flexible attendance at all levels for years. Either the child is enrolled and allowed extremely liberal "excused absences" or the child is considered a homeschooler and is welcome to drop into the school for occasional classes or experiences. Because school funding in Canadian provinces and territories isn't tied to daily attendance, but only to enrolment status, "truancy" isn't the hot-button money issue it can be in the US. Liability insurance concerns for non-enrolled students may be an issue, but our school district has insurance that covers visitors to the school, so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, my guess is that whether it will work for you the way you want it will depend on the particular province, school district, school, principal and teachers you're dealing with. You may have more of a hook, particularly if you're in NB, when it comes to French, because French-language education has social/political implications and the two-official-languages mandate behind it... it may be considered more of a right for your kids than music. But who knows? Is there a homeschooling network in your school district region where you can ask about specific experiences?

Miranda

1 - 3 of 3 Posts