Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Two years ago I partially tore the ACL in my right leg. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and just recently noticed a lot more wobble in that leg. Is it from the lower activity level as I feel so clumsy getting around. Or is the relaxin making the remaining ligaments holding my knee together loosen up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have experience with this? Will it get significantly worse? Should I keep my knee brace on hand for walking during labor? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It was enough to get me back to exercising again. I use an elliptical for 30 min and the weight machines that work on the legs. </p>

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
<p>Did you have ACL surgery?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The relaxin will definitely make your remaining ligaments looser, so you should be careful about injuring the meniscus, for example, which is already under greater strain now that the ACLs are injured (dh went through this last year and ended up getting surgery after first tearing his ACL, not getting treated, and then later tearing the meniscus). You might want to talk to an orthopedist about whether a brace would be helpful or not--I think there are mixed opinions about whether they help or actually make things worse. And definitely take things easy with the exercising! Perhaps swimming or something might be less of a strain on your knee ligaments (though I'm not a doctor and don't know for sure).</p>

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>I tore the meniscus and they found that the ACL was torn during the surgery for that. I've had nothing done to repair the ACL. My plan since then was to always have enough muscle to keep the knee stable. That really seem to work. I've only worn the brace when doing a particular martial art.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm a little concerned about falling while walking around during labor. I don't want the nurses to freak out on me.  </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts