Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - posting on behalf of a close friend who is going back to work FT and considering options for a 4 mo old girl.

Please share any stories/examples of part-time BFing (partial weaning) for someone who can't pump at work, e.g. in a VERY public environment with short breaks. The baby would need to get formula while mom's at work - but what about the rest of the time?

Have you been able to sustain a milk supply only BFing in eves/nights? And not overflow with leaks during the day? How'd you do it, how long did it take for breasts to adjust, etc?

Thanks! Appreciate any moral support -
Jen

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but a friend has. At around 9 months, she was having trouble keeping up with pumping at work (due to a seasonal change in her schedule) so she stopped pumping (gradually) and used formula in the daytime, then nursed at nights and on weekends. When she got home from work she would be really full, but it was doable. I don't know how your friend would start from the get go to not pump though, since my friend reduced her pumpings gradually.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I have done it when my baby was 6 months old. Stopped pumping at work (eliminated one pump session a week until down to zero) and dh gave baby EBM from the freezer until that ran out; then she got formula during the day and I breastfed the rest of the time. It worked fine; still breastfeeding at 20 months.
I don't know if I'd risk at at 4 months, though ....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would pump at work. Why cant' you? I don't understand how they can tell you that you can't go and pump for your child. I would explain to your boss that you would appreciate it if they worked with you while you continued to breast feed. Is there not some law that you could pull out? I don't know, just wondering.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlmkmm
I would pump at work. Why cant' you? I don't understand how they can tell you that you can't go and pump for your child. I would explain to your boss that you would appreciate it if they worked with you while you continued to breast feed. Is there not some law that you could pull out? I don't know, just wondering.
She's a middle school science teacher in her second year of teaching (pretty stressful, lots of work), and has her planning period during the first period of the day, so that doesn't really help the 8-hour stretch much. Lunch is already rushed as is.

She also fears leaking in front of students, especially middle school age!
: The small town that she lives in in the midwest is pretty conservative to boot (I know, all the more reason to push the issue, but that's not her style).

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by torinsmomma
She's a middle school science teacher in her second year of teaching (pretty stressful, lots of work), and has her planning period during the first period of the day, so that doesn't really help the 8-hour stretch much. Lunch is already rushed as is.

She also fears leaking in front of students, especially middle school age!
: The small town that she lives in in the midwest is pretty conservative to boot (I know, all the more reason to push the issue, but that's not her style).

Any other ideas?
It is possible for her to skip pumping during the day but at 4 months it may be sketchy with her milk supply. Usually by six months the milk supply is pretty well established. SHe will need to pump some though to wean herself off of pumping or she will risk plugged ducts and mastitis. I had plugged ducts because of lax pumping on a business trip and it hurt like HELL! One thing I did for leaking was put a panty liner in my bra. It absorbed the milk and I didn't get the headlights look that nursing pads get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts