Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend who now lives far away is coming to visit this weekend. He is bringing his SO, who none of the 'circle of friends' have met. Long story short, we will be having 12-13 adults and 10 children at my house for a get together on Saturday.

DH are in the final stages of redoing our kitchen, (see blog in siggy
: ) and have yet to install the oven. I need party/finger food ideas! I do have a gas cooktop, 2 electric skillits, a croc pot and a bread machine. I am usually really good at party menu planning, but I'm stuck this time.

We really want a warm feel to this, warm foods. We have a fireplace that will be going, and I'm making hot spiced cider and wassail. The kids will be making s'mores for dessert.
So far, I'll make:
chili and cornbread
mac and cheese for kids
spinach/artichoke dip and crunchy bread
pear and gorganzola pizzas (baked on the grill outside)

This is as far as I got.
There are no food restrictions, or special diets.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Recipes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like you already have it under control. With big crowds, the volume is hard enough, I usually stick with a couple of choices for entree, some sort of appetizer/finger food, and a dessert. You've already got everything except a dessert. So maybe a pie or two? If you want to add more variety, I would just add it with the finger foods like a cheese and olive plate, fancy crackers, etc. Finger foods keep kids and hungry people entertained before and after the meal.

Don't go crazy making too many different things and stick with things that you can prepare beforehand. We used to host karaoke parties every month or two and I've found that it's better to have a few good foods rather than too many things. I'm sure some of the guests would rather interact with you than have you stressed out and slaving away.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think you've got a handle on the apps and main dishes...but desert without an oven can be tough (we were ovenless for a while). Can you buy a frozen cake/pie or two? That's what we did. We also made homemade pudding, and baked banana/pumpkin breads in our toaster oven.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.