Mothering Forum banner

Pass the cheesecake and chocolate, please!

564 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  momma_andi 
#1 ·
So I know mucho sugar is bad for health and mood and all that, but I'm craving it soooooooooooo much. What annoys me is how if you're craving sugar when pregnant you're supposed to "really" want protein. Hello, if I ate any more protein I'd be on the Atkins diet! I get a lot of protein. My diet's still a little short on veggies and fruit, but much improved lately in that department. And most of the carbs I consume are whole-grains. I still want sweets, though. Probably partly b/c I'm so tired all the time (hopefully iron supplements will soon improve that a little). I actually considered going back to drinking some caffeine to try to stave off sugar cravings, how strange is that?!

I think loving, wistful thoughts about cheesecake every day. I think I might choose turtle cheesecake over a massage if given the choice! And chocolate (bar, cake, whatever) is a big favorite as well. Went through an ice cream phase not too long ago.

Anybody else?

Carol

See less See more
#2 ·
Carol,
I don't have a solution, just wated to let you know I am in the same boat

I try soo hard, I eat tons of protein, too, almost a 100 grams a day, but my body still screams sugar, refined, pleaaase!!!
I know how bad it is for me, for my bladder, my poor bacterias after antibiotics, my cold sores, they all live and thrive on sugar, but I still think about it all day. And I gain weight from sugar soooo fast, it is unbelievable. I learned this from my struggle with PCOS, sugar doesn't work for me.
And that is jsut me, what does it do to the babe?? I hope this kid is not going to come out and have withdrawel?!!
So I try to reserve ONE sugary treat a day and that it is. If I don't allow myself sugar at all, I just go into a binge. And I only get it if I had aaaaall my other good things during the day.
I hope it is going to work out..Wish me and the babe luck...
I hope it is just a phase, too

Liane

#3 ·
I have wanted sugar a lot lately too. I dream about fudge several times a week. I am trying to replace the sugar craving with a fruity treat or yogurt, even a popsicle is better that a piece of fudge, cake or scoop of icecream. Both of my girls have been what I consider quite healthy big babies. Bre 8lb 4oz at 3 weeks early and Gabi was 9lb 7oz at 1 week early. I love chubby healthy babies but I really don't want a 10 or 11 pounder.
My diet was dramatically better with my second pregnancy and still a big baby so I am convinced it has more to do with my body and how it grows a baby.

#4 ·
I felt guilty about satisfying my chocolate cravings after my first two pregnancies until I read a study that concluded that babies of moms who ate chocolate *at least once a day!* smiled more and later laughed more than babes of moms who ate no or little chocolate (iirc).

Please! I owe it to this baby to make sure it's as happy as it's brothers!

#5 ·
you are in oregon too! portland? can you tell me where to get a really great cheesecake in portland if that's where you are? I am from nyc orginally so I am kind of picky. I like the cream cheese kind, not ricotta. I tried those philadelphia brand cheesecake bars and they were so disapointing. I went through a major ice cream stage too but I had to slow down on that becaue I think it was really affecting my sleep. but I agree, the sugar cravings have really come on strong lately.

#7 ·
I have totally been craving sweets-chocolate in particular. I got some good hot chocolate mix, and I drink one of those at night sometimes instead of eating something loaded with fat and calories. Today I did splurge and have a chocolate shake
: . I went out to lunch w/DH, and it was staring at me from the menu! I mean there was a picture of it and everything!! Too hard for me to resist!

#8 ·
PGNPortland, yep, I'm in Portland. So which cheesecake is denser, the cream cheese kind? I've never made cheesecake but that's the one I prefer, not the fluffier kind. My suggestion for the best desserts is Papa Hadyn's in NW, actually I think maybe there is one in SE somewhere, too. I don't know what sort of cheesecake they have, but everything they have is decadent and fabulous. It's pricey, but the servings sizes are enormous, so if you can couple that with a special occasion of some sort (like, I don't know, being pregnant?
) then it's worth it.

I saw where there is going to be a Cheesecake Factory going in at Washington Square Mall before too long. Haven't ever been to one, but it sounds exciting! Mostly I just buy my cheesecake slices at the health food store; they have really nice choices from local bakeries.

Carol

#9 ·
My sugar craving is all PGNPORTLAND'S fault!! LOL Weren't you the one who mentioned the Ben and Jerry's oatmeal cookie chunk flavor? I cannot stop eating it!!

I have a real sugar craving this time around too. Once I give in, I eat an unhealthy amount, so I'm trying very hard not to give in. HELP!!

#10 ·
It's weird, I actually crave sweets now less than I did before pregnancy. I used to want a sweet pick-me-up every afternoon with coffee or tea. Now I can get by w/o it, though I crave lots of other stuff that's bad for you, like fatty and salty things (McDonald's french fries, anyone?). But now that you're talking cheesecake ... I live in NYC and can think of about 5 great places to get it in walking distance. Maybe it's time to take a little stroll ...

#11 ·
Is it fair to say I crave all food that is unhealthy currently?
I'm usually a pretty good eater, may indulge here and there but have a really good balance....
WELL this pg I absolutely loathe salad greens (of all types) cooked veggies are fine but raw veggies are completely unappealing (seein as I'm normally a HUGE veggie and dip or salad fan this is very weird for me).
I'm not a huge fruit eater (just tend to like veggies a lot more and have them more on hand) but this pg I"m actually eating fruit, trying to make up for the copious amounts of salad I'm NOT eating.
I swear, you could take me off all foods that are not deep fried or covered in melted cheese and I wouldn't even MISS them. If I could eat nothing but donuts, McDonalds, Pizza and Taco Bell I'd be a happy gal. But we all know (sadly) that that's not going to do me or baby three any good at all.

So tonight I shall eat salad and the lovely salmon and dill quiche dh is making for supper, all the while fantisizing about Dairy Queen and nachos....

#12 ·
ha ha. yes it was me who suggested the oatmeal cookie ice cream. Isn't it amazing. I discovered a new ice cream at wild oats - an organic brand called Boulder (as in boulder, co). The flavor I tried is mexican chocolate and it is amazing. They call this ice cream "super super premium" and it is so dense even more so then ben and jerrys or Hagan Daz. they actually have a ginger flavor that sounds good too

Carol. I will try papa haydens for cheesecake. Good idea. I have had dinner there a long time ago and it was great. Yes, the cream cheese cake is the real nyc kind. much denser. I think the ricotta cheese cake is the tradtional italian kind. I don't like it much.

#13 ·
Add me to the list of sweets cravers. Last pg I didn't want sweets at all, just chicken breast and steamed veggies. This time, I could eat sweets every day, as well as other not healthy foods.

AndiG, I can't stand lettuces much either right now. It feels like it's stuck in my throat after I swallow it. Very odd and unpleasant.

As for cheesecake, Costco carries a frozen one from Cheesecake Factory that is really good and it's the cream cheese kind. The ricotta kind is not cheesecake IMO! I make a nice fruity sauce or puree to put on it, and DH and I usually split a slice since they're kind of big. Hmmm, I think I will have to pick one up next time I go...

#14 ·
I usually eat well too but treats, yummm! I bought several pints of Julie's Organic Blackberry Ice Cream and I figure well at least it's organic

I've been dreaming all week of this weekend when I'm making caramel apples, with apples from the local orchard, and rolling them in chocolate chips and nuts. And also making ones where you dip the caramel apple in white chocolate and then roll it in cinnamon sugar-it's like apple pie, how seasonal

Just reading these posts make me hungry.

#15 ·
Popping in from the Dec board.

A naturopath I was seeing a few years back (pre-pregnancy) told me that sugar cravings can mean you aren't getting enough FAT in your diet (of course, the good fats...).

FWIW I have always had a HUGE sweet tooth... but I do find if I'm taking my cod liver oil and eating lots of good fats like avocado, almonds, even whole milk yogurt, I don't crave the sweets as much...

#16 ·
It's funny...before I was pregnant, I never craved sweets. Now I want them all the time. First it started with homemade choc chip cookies, then I went on to Ben and Jerrys Choc Fudge Brownie frozen yogurt, now I am craving these gourmet cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. Gah...just talking about it is making me want one. I have been limiting myself to one treat a day, compared to in the past I was just eating whatever I craved. I noticed someone said if you are craving sugar, you aren't getting enough of the good fats...well I will have to try that. Since I really don't want to eat too much sugar. Also, how much sugar is ok per day? I don't drink soda, which I know has 42g per can, and my cin. rolls only have 26g... Just wondering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.