Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.voanews.com/english/Ameri...1-20-voa62.cfm

Quote:
Israel-Ballard says data show that most of the good things in breast milk, such as antibodies, proteins and vitamins, are preserved in the process, which she calls 'flash pasteurization.' She says women can do it at home with simple tools. "It involves the mother expressing her milk into a glass jar and then putting it into a pan that is full of water and she brings that to a boil. So when the water boils, she removes the milk and the milk has actually been flash pasteurized."

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
THank you for posting this article.

While this is very very very cool, and will undoubtedly help many moms around the world, I was a bit disappointed in their mention of using this method in Sub Saharan Africa. Unfortunately, HIV is still so stigmatized in most countries that a woman's life is in danger if others learn her status. And if a woman does not breastfeed her baby (but rather feeds breastmilk in a bottle), she may be telling others that she has HIV.

So a lot of work also has to be done on HIV tolerance. It is such a sad situation.

Siobhan

·
Registered
322 Posts
I hope someone who is knowledgeable about BF and HIV will comment on this article. Last thing I knew they hadn't been able to determine how to test the milk for presence of the virus. Also, HIV doesn't seem to pass to the baby if the baby is exclusively BFed, so this article seems off to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts