Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LONG time lurker...seldom poster in need of some advice! 14 mo ds has little or no patience (or 'easily frustrated' is a better phrase?)for everyday situations and I'm just wondering if this is totally developmental or should we being trying to "help" him with this.

For instance. While trying to push his push cart through a sapce he won't fit he will immediately (within in 2-3 seconds of trying) begin to bang the cart around roughly and screech, cry (if we are not rapid responders) and even fall to the ground. Generally when I'm right there I say something to the effect of "oh, it looks like you won't fit through there, can mama help you?" He goes on his merry little way right after the problem has been fixed. This happens throughout the day and of course is worse when it is near nap/bedtime and he is tired. We do try at times to let him work problems out when it seems possible that he can, or delay our assist so that he can try to work through something that he will not be able to.

So other than what we already do, should we be doing more? Dh has little patience when frustrated...and I'd be sad to see ds 'inherit' this.....but if it is age appropriate I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Many thanks!!

~Lauri

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Oh sooooooo normal! I would just give a little help to amend the situation, or try to distract with something else. For DS is was fairly short lived. Now he has so much patience it suprises me sometimes. Nothing wrong with letting them know help is there when they need it

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I second the normal comment. My son was very much the same. Give a little space to see what happens but let him know that you can help if he wants. I think I was often too quick to step in. A little frustration isn't all bad, but then you can help if he has exhausted his attempts at problem solving it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have four kids so I have experienced this several times and it is totally about the developmental stage and will pass. The only way kids learn things is to experience them (like the cart thing not fitting).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK YOU!

We will just keep on doing what we are doing and wait for this to pass (and cross my fingers that it indeed does pass and he does NOT wind up like dada in this area....)

Appreciate your thoughts.

~Lauri

1 - 5 of 5 Posts