Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever knitted with this. I saw it at LYS and it caught my eye. Just wondering how it knits up. I didn't like the sample of the felting they had on display but I think it might be the store and not so much the yarn itself.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Man, if we all had a dollar for every thread that starts with "so I found this stuff called Paton's SWS....."

I could buy, like, 100 skeins of SWS!

This is a lovely, easy, soft, scrumptious yarn that is shockingly available at Michaels even!

I have made arm warmers, and 3 Panta's out of SWS. And I think a little baby sweater would be yummy, too!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I working with it now and I LOVE IT. I agree with whomever mentioned a few days ago that it feels like human hair though - and b/c my skein starts out with a blondish/brown hue it even LOOKED like human hair in while I was casting on!

Maybe we need a Paton's SWS sticky....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
See...I'm not the only one who thinks it feels a bit much like human hair. I know I'm weird, but I know I am not completely out there, at least not all of the time. I think I may be weird in that I prefer plyed wools to single ply. I do too much knitting while doing other things (reading on the computer, watching TV, reading books, etc.) that I tend to split stitches too easily with single ply stuff and SWS especially. But, it is among the nicest stuff at the craft stores. It is good to see more variety and more choices.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a toss up between this and some corn yarn she has. I'm leaning toward to corn, there is something about the way it feels that I don't like.

Sorry, I guess you have my dollar since I didn't haven't seen all the other threads about SWS.
:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julielenore View Post
Does anyone have pics of any FO's with SWS?
I am scared to knit anything with mine, becuase I have heard it felts even when you don't want it to, and I want to use it for a non-felted project.
I have pics of my Clapotis in my blog. It does tangle a bit. It hasn't really felted, but I could see it doing so pretty easily. I would say to go for it. The colors are sooo pretty, and anything you make will probably be treated gently just because the feel of it is so supple. (Unless of course you're gonna make longies or something for the little ones...)

Here's a pic. I have almost finished now and it feels surprisingly sturdy.

HTH!

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
i have pictures of the natural pink, geranium, natural green and plum colourways knit up in my blog (you may have to look in the archives)

theyare all beautiful!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dillonandmarasmom View Post
I have pics of my Clapotis in my blog. It does tangle a bit. It hasn't really felted, but I could see it doing so pretty easily. I would say to go for it. The colors are sooo pretty, and anything you make will probably be treated gently just because the feel of it is so supple. (Unless of course you're gonna make longies or something for the little ones...)

Here's a pic. I have almost finished now and it feels surprisingly sturdy.

HTH!
Just set down my progress for the night, and I know what you mean about the snagging! I knit and frogged a few times before I found the right number of stitches for the scarf, and it was a huge pita in some places!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I did some LTK pilot caps out of it but I forgot to get a pic of the other one before giving it to a friend, I used the darker pink (like the clap pic above) for the other one, and I used the light blue for a newborn cabled cap. (she's gonna take pics after her baby arrives...)

Here are the pics of the one I did manage to photograph!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhalen...n/photostream/

·
Registered
674 Posts
yeah, i love this stuff too. i believe i have 3 projects on the go right now, but when i need a break from the others, i go back to the sws. i find it so nice cause 1 skein can make a scarf using YOs, and it looks so nice, and feels so nice! And knits up so quick!

It does fray/pill or whatever a bit, but i find it quite managable, even when frogging.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Oh, I like this yarn too, thinking of making my mom an earwarmer cap with it. I have used it for one cap which I didn't get a picture of and felted projects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts