Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a lot of fairly mainstream news lately about some of the rich school districts in California having very high personal belief exemption rates. This article talks about that, and also has a useful look up table for an CA moms who want to know what the rate is in their school:

http://blogs.kqed.org/stateofhealth...oubled-in-7-years-look-up-your-school-online/

(I know I'm British, but I have family is in the CA area, so I'm particularly interested in how this plays our in CA, and in fact my kids did attend CA based summer school/nursery this summer - curiously despite being open about a lack of any varicella vaccine for my youngest, and the second dose for the older I was not asked to fill in any statements about why vaccination exemption).

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I personally find it scary there's more than 50 schools in CA with PBE (so not even adding medical exemptions in) for more than 50% of the kids. Sounds like a ticking time bomb for VPDs to me. If my kids were at one of those I'd seriously be considering moving them - I think we all understand vaccines are not 100% magic fairy dust protection from disease and this loss of this crowd level immunity which would result in more potential exposure to the nasty bugs I would find really worrying.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I personally find it scary there's more than 50 schools in CA with PBE (so not even adding medical exemptions in) for more than 50% of the kids. Sounds like a ticking time bomb for VPDs to me. If my kids were at one of those I'd seriously be considering moving them - I think we all understand vaccines are not 100% magic fairy dust protection from disease and this loss of this crowd level immunity which would result in more potential exposure to the nasty bugs I would find really worrying.
I agree, it is very concerning and a ticking time bomb indeed. I am glad I live in a state with very high immunization rates, as those numbers would scare me.

I've always said it will only take one really nasty outbreak for California to change/toughen up their exemption process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts