Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 4 and was a preemie. Between the preemie issue, the hospital and my PCOS I wasn't able to establish a good supply. I think I spent weeks taking every supplement and making rounds to LC's. This time around I want to be prepared from the start. I am really interested in taking domperidone if I need to. I didn't even know that was an option 4 years ago. I would have to order it online and I know that it can take a week to get here. Should I go ahead and order a month supply just in case? Dumbest question ever asked here is next...when and how would I know I needed to take it?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
with ds # 2 i half expected to have the same problems i did with #1 (pretty much only 1 ounce per feed now at 4 months old) but it was a little easier this time as emotionally prepared, i also informed LC at the hospital so we were watching ds for signs. he still had wet diapers but his weight dropped (lost close to 10% pretty quickly), plus my breasts were not feeling full, and i could pump little or nothing. On the 4th day i started supplementing ds with a tiny bit of formula, using a medela SNS (i love this thing), it enables me not to have to use a bottle.

I also got my px for domperidone b4 i left the hospital, but then i knew for sure i would have supply issues, if you are not 100% sure i would wait longer to start supplementing and dom as you dont want to damage what could potentially be a great supply
With the domperisone my dr recommend 90mg per day (3 10mg tablets 3 times a day). i take 120mg as 90mg seems to do nothing for me, but i occasionally get headaches (? if caused by this).

hope this helps, and good luck.

the thing i found this time that is helping is mother love special belnd with goats rue, apparently the goats rue helps encourage breast tissue growth for making more milk

"Specially formulated at the request of lactation consultants, this blend helps women with special needs, such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, breast reduction surgery and adoptive moms, to build mammary tissue as well as the supportive herbs in More Milk Plus."

http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_special.php

it tastes awfulllllll

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pardon me while I hijack for a second...

I was diagnosed with PCOS right before getting pregnant with DS. I really struggled with supply issues throughout but for some reason didn't put two and two together until recently. Do you have any info or books you would recommend on PCOS? I had really, really, really terrible experiences with my doctors and the online community I found and never found much info or support regarding PCOS. I think I was just not looking in the right place tho. Any quick info off the top of your head would be totally appreciated... Sorry to hijack, wish I had information to share with you!!!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I would take the metformin and goats rue/more milk special blend from birth...if you notice supply problems, add in the dom. The goats rue is supposed to actually help grow breast tissue, and the metformin will help your hormones.....

I also had low-suply due to PCOS (but we're still nursing at 22 months!!), and plan to be so much more proactive this time!!!!! I will be doing what i just recommended!
PLUS, you grow more breast tissue each child you nurse, and second time mothers have much higher rates of successful breastfeeding.....sort of like practice makes perfect, once your body has done it (or tried it) once, the second time, it is almost always easier!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Basil
Pardon me while I hijack for a second...

I was diagnosed with PCOS right before getting pregnant with DS. I really struggled with supply issues throughout but for some reason didn't put two and two together until recently. Do you have any info or books you would recommend on PCOS? I had really, really, really terrible experiences with my doctors and the online community I found and never found much info or support regarding PCOS. I think I was just not looking in the right place tho. Any quick info off the top of your head would be totally appreciated... Sorry to hijack, wish I had information to share with you!!!

I find a lot of medical professionals are seriously undereducated about PCOS considering how many women, about 10%, are affected. I get a lot of great info from www.soulcysters.com

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm on the metformin already. Have been for a few years now. So thats encouraging news. I have a bottle of goats rue here that a co-worker of my dh's gave to him to bring home to me. How sweet.
: Let's see...I did take the motherlove moremilk stuff with Sophie, aside from being awful
it didn't help.

So with the goat's rue I start that immediately after birth?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely take metformin during pg/nursing if you have PCOS.. I was told NOT to (stupid midwife) and i have struggled and struggled wtih low supply issues and have to suppliment with formula. Also, please get your thyroid checked (not just TSH, but T4 and T3) because mild hypothyroidism tends to follow PCOS, and that also can cause low supply. It is now widely recommended that thyroid medicine be INCREASED during pregnancy even if your TSH results are normal.. something ELSE my (stupid) midwife did not do. So I was set up to fail from the get-go
. Hopefully this info will help!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I second the advice to take Metformin! there is an article about it somewhere on the LLL site, and I was told about this by an LC! I have PCOS and took Metformin to conceive. Luckily I did not have supply issues but Metformin would have been the first thing I did to address it if I had.

Go to www.soulcysters.net, it's a GREAT site!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts