Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a doctor today...first time I have been to a doc (gyn excluded) since..oh say...2001

I have never been so good about taking care of me..but things have been..shall we say..OFF.
So I tell her everything ( she was way cool btw) and she says she would like to have me tested for PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) ..I am going to look it up online but I came here first cuz everyone here is always so knowledgeable about things and courses of action..
so what is it? how does it effect me? will it kill me? how do you treat it?
Help me please..I don't mean to sound simple..but any support would be super right now..I get tested tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There is a thread under fertility about PCOS. Do a search for it. One of the members in the group is celesterra. Look up her user name and you should be able to find it

I have PCOS. Feel free to ask questions
. Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome is an insulin resistance that shows up in the ovaries. That's where is gets its name. If you have an ultrasound, you should see a ring around the inside of your ovaries. Those are the "poly cysts" (many cysts). In many cases, it can be controlled with diet. The only immediate medical problem is that the cysts don't allow you to ovulate (which is why you have few or no periods
). So, it is harder to get pregnant. I took Clomid to get pregnant because I didn't want to wait the year it would take me to lose the weight. This comes with its own consequences. PCOS is related to diabetes ( but IS NOT), so diabetes can form later in life. I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, which I knew I was at a higher risk for.

OKay, that's alot for me to write. PM me if you have questions or want a friend to gripe at
. I am sure you will get alot of good information

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Another one here.
I've known I had this for, oh, 5 years now. Actually diagnosed, a year ago.
You're lucky to have found a doc that picked up on it. (I went to 4 gyns who didn't believe in it)

Anyway... because it's a syndrome, not a disease, you won't necessarily have all the symptoms. Some people don't even have the cysts that it's named for. I think it's if you have 4 or more symptoms that = PCOS.

Also, everyone responds differently to different treatments. Some people do great on diet alone (the lucky ones, says I). Some of us on diabetes meds (Metformin was my salvation. I lost weight, conceived, and carried because of it). And like the pp said, some people need Clomid or other fert. treatments to get pg (and some can't even with that.
).

Related diseases you might want to look up are insulin resistance and Syndrome X. As near as I can figure, they're the same thing; and both are the same as PCOS except that men can have those two.
I'm not 100% on this. You might also want to request a thyroid check because PCOS and hypothyroidism often go hand-in-hand and have many of the same symptoms.

Good luck! I know you're in my area cause I've seen you on the FYT.
If you have trouble getting good treatment, you might want to try here if possible: https://www.hmc.psu.edu/womens/resea...os/clinic.html

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies ladies..I check out that websit..my new doc who I just met for the first time seems wonderful she told me with all my symptoms she cannot believe this has never been a red flag...she also suggested some vitamins and minerals too sounds kind of holistic to me and I am lovin her!!! so again thank you so much for the link and support..I will let ya know how things are going Paquerette..btw are you involed in the hershy study? I was thinking about checking that out I am only about 1 hour and 15 min away...

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette
Anyway... because it's a syndrome, not a disease, you won't necessarily have all the symptoms. Some people don't even have the cysts that it's named for. I think it's if you have 4 or more symptoms that = PCOS.
Almost right. You cannot have poly cystic ovarian syndrome without polycystic ovaries. You can not have any other symptom anywhere, whatsoever, but that you have to have. This is why my diagnosis was not clear until now. Because I didn't not have measurable insulin resistance (according to blood test), nor any secondary symptoms and my ovaries never ever looked cystic, no one would diagnose me as PCOS. And believe me - there were a lot of people looking at my ovaries monthly. They ONLY symptom I had was long cycles.

I was diagnosed a week ago. At this ultrasound my ovaries looked like textbook PCOS. I am a bit overweight, but not a lot, and I still have no other symptoms other than long cycles and now cystic ovaries.

So, it is a tough diagnoses. I think that often docs use it as a default. If a woman has long cycles, with no ovulation, then they decide it must be PCOS. Regardless of what it is.

I did ask my doc about if youcould have PCOS without cystic ovaries, and he said no. He said thatI could have low level insulin resistance that was not detectable, and was affecting my ovulation, but that with out the classic "string of pearls" ovaries, then I wouldn't have been diagnosed with it at an earlier time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.