Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to work part time so when im at work DH watches DS. DS is almost 5 months 2 weeks old and ever since he developed painful reflux nap time has become a challenge. we have gotten his reflux under control and its no longer painful and its back to being a rare thing. I nurse laying down and then give him a pacifier once he is dont eating and he will lay next to me till he falls asleep. DH doesnt have the patients to do this as it can take 30 minutes to an hour for sleep to peacefully take over an for him to fall asleep. He has resorted to CIO cause he says its the only way it works for him. do you have any magic tips for non CIO?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
there aren't really any "magic" tricks to teaching a baby to sleep...it takes work and patience. leaving the baby to CIO isn't going to teach him to sleep, which i'm sure you know. have you tried maybe adjusting your nap time routine so that it would be easier for DH to take your place? or maybe help your dh figure out a special "daddy time" routine that works for him?

i hate to use this analogy, but if your dh had a puppy, he wouldn't just assume that the puppy would train himself - your dh would have to teach him how to pee outside, obey, etc. why wouldn't he think that his own son deserves more love and attention than to let him just CIO?

or maybe your dh should be looking for more work so you can be home to be a parent to your baby?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Both of my children had a variety of caregivers getting them to nap over the years. Each of them found their own routine and, as long as each was consistent, they all seemed to work. The key is nothing works right away -- not even CIO as your DH has probably figured out. Some of the things that have worked for the "non-moms" who have cared for my children have been: wearing in a sling (either until asleep or for the full nap, walking in a stroller, riding in a car, rocking (worked with one of mine, one hated being held when going to sleep), lying next to baby but reading a book or with a laptop so the caregiver wasn't bored, singing, reading out loud (whatever is interesting to the caregiver - -my DH used to read the wall street journal out loud. Of course, my DH's favorite was having baby on his chest while watching a baseball game -- perfect excuse for not moving for a couple of hours.

I'd urge your DH to experiment maybe for a week or so with each option that appeals to him. Remember that a nap doesn't have to happen in a darkened room in a crib (or whatever) -- there is a lot more flexibility, especially at this age (it gets harder when they are toddlers). You may also want to find some of the research about why CIO is harmful, especially to babies as young as yours. Sometimes "the experts" have more persuasive powers than you might!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts