Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering purchasing peak with books cirric. for my almost 4 year old for the fall. Have any of you used this or have an opinion on it. I have looked at the website several times but I am still a little bit unsure of the actual format. Does it have a lot of songs activites and projects related to each book or just to the unit. Any feed back would be great. I would really like to do some sort of whole book method if there is any thing else like this that you would reccomend please let me know.

This is the website http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/c...mPreschool.asp

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
i've not used it, but i do love it as well. we use FIAR and peak with books looks even better imo. i wish it had multiple volumes that built upon the next. you can get a fairly good preview of it here: http://books.google.com/books?id=u0V...M5WOyASOsJDfCA

i know another mom bought if for a great price at tuesday morning. amazon has good prices on it used as well. hth.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Peak with Books isn't broken up into units. Moving Beyond the Page does that in the additional handout that they sell with it. There is a chart in Peak that lists various (about 17) themes you can divide the books into, but it's just as a suggestion if you wanted to group the books that way. There are no separate "unit" activities. (Actually, many of the books are put in the chart under more than one theme.)

If you look at the samples that they have on the MBTP site (bottom of the page you linked), you can see what each of the chapters is like. There's one of those for each book. That's pretty much the whole book (plus an index of songs/fingerplays/poetry, an introduction, the chart I mentioned, another chart to show what skills are worked on in each book's activities, and a full-color section on the inquiry approach to learning).

I think it's a really nice book. I'm not sure how much MBTP's handout would add to it, and I think you could get Peak by itself from Amazon or wherever for cheaper than MBTP is selling it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollies_mama View Post
I am seriously considering purchasing peak with books cirric. for my almost 4 year old for the fall. Have any of you used this or have an opinion on it. I have looked at the website several times but I am still a little bit unsure of the actual format. Does it have a lot of songs activites and projects related to each book or just to the unit. Any feed back would be great. I would really like to do some sort of whole book method if there is any thing else like this that you would reccomend please let me know.

This is the website http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/c...mPreschool.asp
We used it for awhile. It was a hit with my daughter, who was almost 5 at the time. She's the arts and crafts type and loved the coloring and drawing. There are songs included, but I don't think we knew any and couldn't find recordings online (could just be us, though) so I had to put more work into organizing it than I liked. We picked the parts out that we liked and it worked. We didn't stick with it because our schedules made the time commitment (preparation and actual school time) too difficult, but I do recommend it to people. I'm not a fan of the MBTP curriculum for other reasons, but I do like Peak with Books. We had done FIAR with my son the year before and I like PWB's book choices so much more!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought both Peak with books and Before Five in a Row because I could not make up my mind. I have yet to use either of them yet but I can tell you to BUY USED!! I got the Peak With Books book itself for about 1/2 price on amazon.com (used books) same with BFIAR. A great site to use is Betterworldbooks.com (one of the moms here introduced me to the site). I was able to get all the books priced out at one THIRD the cost! It also has free shipping on everything. Also, most of the books for both programs I was able to find in the library. Keeps it very cheap!

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackpackbaby View Post
I bought both Peak with books and Before Five in a Row because I could not make up my mind. I have yet to use either of them yet but I can tell you to BUY USED!! I got the Peak With Books book itself for about 1/2 price on amazon.com (used books) same with BFIAR. A great site to use is Betterworldbooks.com (one of the moms here introduced me to the site). I was able to get all the books priced out at one THIRD the cost! It also has free shipping on everything. Also, most of the books for both programs I was able to find in the library. Keeps it very cheap!
its been a while
any comment on PWB vs BFIAR???

Aimee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.