Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owen's ST suggested making a schedule board for him so I'm looking for tips. I need one for his school with the daily routine (which I'll get from his teacher tomorrow) then I need another at home for a broader daily routine/activities. He's having melt-downs most of the time when he needs to change activities so we're hoping this helps.

I also want to start doing a form of Pecs for him. I'm pretty sure getting him to point at or hand me a picture of what he wants won't be a problem (right now he'll sometimes take me or point to what he wants). I just want to know what's the best way to do this? One idea someone gave me was to print off a picture of the item, glue it on an index card, laminate it, then put a small magnet on the back. Anyone have a better way?

And where can I get a magnetic board (that is large enough for the schedule but small enough to be portable)?

Oh, and if anyone else is interested here's a neat site I found. It has a TON of picture to print off for pecs (some life-like, some not).

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you are looking for portablility, I'd go with velcro rather than the magnets - that way you can just use foamcore for your board and it's super easy to find velcro with the adhesive backing on it. If you want to do the magnets, I know you can get magnetic boards at Staples and the like - I have one that's about 18" X 24", you may also be able to find smaller ones there as well.

I'm in the process of doing something similar for my son for food choices, the only advice I was given was to keep it simple and to really limit the choices - only three at a time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
StephandOwen,

I took digitial pictures of the items that Evan used on a daily basis (I know some other people have used clipart from MS WORD) and laminated them.

Then I bought photo album pages that can fit several pictures in one page from Michael's--I put the pictures in them so DS can see all of them. Then I say "what do you want for dinner?" and he points to what he wants. You could take pictures and put them in a small photo album for when you have to go somewhere.

THEN we also have a picture board (for transitions)--bought velcro and one piece of foam board from Walmart and again used digital pictures- laminate and then put adhesive velcro on back. I plan out his day using the pictures-- don't be too specific b/c otherwise you'll be bound to the schedule like glue- I just use it to highlight the impt stuff- eating breakfast, get into car, going to school, bath, bedtime, stories- stuff he has a hard time transitioning with. If you do the velcro you could just string a piece of velcro on the back of your seat and continue to use PECS in the car.

It's worked really well.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
OK well this is an awesome resource -- http://www.autismshop.com/
Even if you don't buy stuff you can look at things to get ideas.

As far as supplies to make your own stuff, check out your local craft store like Michael's.

When dd was in kindergarten she had 3 different people who picked her up from school and she freaked if the person she thought was coming didn't (this was almost every day). I took pictures of myself, her PCA and my mom and cut out just our heads and laminated them. Then I made 5 strips of card stock (maybe an inch and a half wide and 6 or 8 inches long). I ponched a hole in the top of them and put them on a ring. They needed to be long because DD was picked up every day at school and taken to day treatment where someone else would pick her up. I made squares on there and put velcro on each square. Then I put velcro on our pictures and put them on there for which days. If who was picking her up changd we could move the pictures around. This went in her school backpack and her teachers would take it out everyday and look at it with her several times. She then was much calmer about the transition of people picking her up.
I don't know if that helped but it was a good "portable" thing.

Oh ya, and lamination is expensive so if you can get dc's teachers to do it for you that'd be great, otherwise I use clear contact paper. It's not as fancy but it's cheap

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I bought a set from autism shopper - the 120 piece. I used a leftover black foam core board (art supply) and put on 2 strips of black sticky back velcro. I put black sticky back velcro dots on the PECS and on the back of the board I put more dots to store the PECS. I don't take mine out of my house though.

I want to make something like this: http://card.ufl.edu/supports/minischedules.htm

Mine are images from Boardmaker software but photos work well for my son too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.