Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I did with my son, years ago. I think we started when he was 1 1/2 and stopped when he was about 4 (he started talking between 3 and 3 1/2 years). I couldn't afford the PECS system, so I did it on my own. I took pictures of items/people/foods/places that ds was around (also found some freebies on the internet). I used clear packing tape to "laminate" them and placed a little square of velcro on the back of each picture. Then I took a small binder and used some construction paper (that I also "laminated" with clear packing tape) and stuck the velcro on that paper too. As the book grew, I just used more paper to make more pages. The book was small enough to travel with us wherever we went and ds really did well with it.

We also used sign language with him (Signing Time dvd's) from when he was about 8 months old until around 3 1/2-4 years.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think PECS is a great tool if your child has the attention span and cogitative ability to grasp it. PECS has been in my son's classroom since preschool and it's heavily pushed on the ASD students. For many children, it can be a wonderful communication vehicle.

However, if your child is severe and PECS does not come easily to them, there are other communication methods out there that might be more suitable. My son has begun using an ipad with the proloquo2go app and is making much better progress then he ever did with PECS. Rapid Prompt is another popular alternative as well, and my DS responds better to its' program.

If PECS works for you, that's great! But there are other choices out there if your child does not respond well to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.