Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

We are beginning to look for a ped dentist in our area and really don't know where to start! We don't do fluoride and I was just told by a friend that night nursing (which my 16 mos old does A LOT!!) could cause early cavities ...
I always thought that breastmilk had enough buffers to counter balance the sugars in it but now I'm finding so much mixed info about it. There seems to be people that totally agree that bfing at night causes decay or the other way around!!
Anyway ...I thought it would a good idea to find a good dentist who respects prolonged nursing and start there! I'm not planning on stopping the nt nursing and don't even want to take our babe to a dentist yet ... she's great about brushing her teeth ... but this cavity thing is a bit scary...
Please feel free to write about any experience you've had with this as well!

We live in Shelburne but will travel for a good dentist...
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
We have a great family dentist in Williamstown who has been seeing our son since he turned 2. We do not do flouride or any routine x-rays and they are fine with it. Let me know if you want the info.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
We take our kids to a FABULOUS dentist in Northampton. His name is Dr. Martin Wohl, and he works in the silk mill. He is not technically a pediatric dentist, but came with much better recommendations than the local pediatric dentist did.

I do not believe that night nursing causes decay. Check out the dental forum for more info. on this. There's a ton of knowledgeable mamas there. I nursed my twins through the night until they were 2. One of them ended up having several cavities when we brought him to the dentist at age 3, the other had NONE. The twin with the cavities weighed 6 lbs., 4 oz at birth, and the twin without weighed 8 lbs., 7 oz. The smaller twin had a much smaller placenta, and has also had trouble over the years with anemia. This supports the theory that the health of baby teeth reflects the nutrients that babies receive at the end of pregnancy.

We do not do flouride (check out the dental forum for flouride info. too), but I lie to the dentist and say that we do (just because I don't want to talk about it with him). He did suggest that my son's cavities were due to breastfeeding through the night to my partner once (I wasn't there, or I would have set him straight), but he wasn't hostile about it.

Anyway, to me all that matters about my kids' dentist is that he/she be friendly, have excellent bedside manner, and be most concerned with making it a pleasant experience for my kids. I don't care if he supports my parenting decisions as long he doesn't give me a hard time about them.

My son had 6 cavities filled at age 3 (2 at a time), and he LOVES going to the dentist. He always sits in my wife's lap in the dentist chair. He's never needed novacaine, and he's never had any pain. The hygenist and the dentist make everything a fun game.

HTH!

Lex

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info ...

and yes, i've been on the dental forum ... found a lot of great advice and info! there are a lot of young babes getting cavities!! it's something i never worried about..
we don't do fluoride either and not planning on it.

anyway ... i'll keep record of your dentist recomm, lex! and i so wish i could go to the LLL conference (i just read your thread about it!) but my mom-in-law is coming that wkend.

andi

·
Registered
914 Posts
We go to Dr. Kantor in Northampton. We had a very bad experience with Dr. Roman in (PM for details if you want them). Dr. Kantor asked if my kids were night nursers, and I just, ahem, change the subject. My kids love to go there though. The staff is very friendly, gentle & kind, in my experience. My 3 year old had major issues- & she barely nursed at night & my 6 year old was a nurse every 90 minutes at night for his fisrt 2 years of life & he has the best teeth, so go figure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.