Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need new Doc fo my kids. Anyone good between Lawrence/Overland Park/KC area?

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi, i used to live in overland park and we went to Dr. Douglas Brooks in Olathe. he is wonderful. he was recommended by my midwife as he is holistically minded and pro breastfeeding, natural birthing etc. i don't have his number anymore, but i am sure he is not hard to find. i also used to live in Lawrence when i was in school, but did not have a child then. good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot, he is family practice and not a Pediatrician. I have to have a Ped.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
There is only one ped group in Lawrence.

I would personally recommend Rundquist out of them all. I think Kelley is okay--clinically, he's probably the best (he used to be a pharmacist), but I was a ped nurse and he was such a jerk to the nurses sometimes, I can't in good faith recommend him. Actually, bedside manner is lacking in all the men in that group.

Van Garssi is fine, I'm sure. She seemed on the ball when we saw her once.

Overall, I like Rundquist. I mean, no one in that group is very into alternative med or delayed vaccinations; but Rundquist has always been respectful of my right as a parent to make decisions regarding my child's health. She's always listened and respectfully offered her opinion. When I wanted to expose my kids to chickenpox instead of getting the vaccine, she disagreed, explained why, and left it at that. One month later, when I had to bring in my oldest for complications from chickenpox (cellulitis from infected pox), she was genuinely sympathetic and never gave a hint of "I-told-you-so" attitude.

She is also very good with teenage girls, and very accepting and supportive of lesbian teens. FWIW.

I don't know anything about OP or KC peds.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
in the abovementioned practice id stay far away from dr loveland, hes kind of rough with kids.

we saw another guy there though who was pretty cool. he told me to put tea bags in my dd's diapers for yeast. i forgot his name though! i think it was an irish name.

rundquist was my pediatrician (eek) and i had nothing but good memories of her. she was kind of bristly with me when i brought in my own kids, mostly because of the vax issue.

if i had to go back there id deffinitely choose one of them. the wait times are crazy sometimes though.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm done with the ped practice here in Lawrence.

So, I found another practice in Shawnee Mission. I saw them with my daughter earlier this week for the first time. I was very impressed with the Doc we saw.
So far, so good with them. Just sucks because its a drive to get there. But they also see kids at Children's Mercy. Which is another thing important to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.