Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a new Ped in NE CT. I was formerly seeing Dr Candow but his practice has moved to RI with his wife. I really liked him becasue he was very pro-AP. Anyone know of any pro AP drs in the area?

· Registered
6 Posts
I don't know where you are, but if Manchester isn't too far, Dr. Bush is great. Their practice is extremely pro-breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding. I delayed vaccinations with my youngest child and while some of the nurses "didn't get it", they supported us and our decisions. They also are knowledgable about intact boys.

· Registered
424 Posts
If Vernon/Rockville is local, I love Healthwise Associates and Dr Jerome Lahman and Dr Amy Rappaport.

I live in Granby and drive 40 mins to stay in their practice!! They are both VERY laid back, pro breastfeeding (didnt force me to supplement my slow growers!) listen to me about selective vax (their APRN told me I'd be able to get waivers somehow!) and don't push meds. They support cosleeping, not CIO, not spanking, not rushing potty learning. They are really terrific people and knowledgable physicians.

· Registered
299 Posts
I just started bringing my daughter to Dr. Nicholas Palermo in Glastonbury who is an osteopath dedicated to AP, extented BFing, delaying vax/no vax, and using vits/minerals to boost immune system instead of automatically writing out a prescription. I'm in love with him. He is a family osteopath, not just a pediatrician. FYI - I've talked to other moms in the area who had to switch out of Dr. Bush's office in Manchester due to his staff being outright rude to moms who question vaccinations. I met him myself when I was interviewing new peds, and he was nice enough, but would not let me get a word in edgewise. Good luck in your search!

· Registered
372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
If Vernon/Rockville is local, I love Healthwise Associates and Dr Jerome Lahman and Dr Amy Rappaport.
We go to Dr. Lahman too, in fact he was my doctor when I was growing up. :LOL

Anyway, I would recommend going to them, I absolutly LOVE both Lahman and Rappaport. If you need a phone #, LMK.

· Registered
512 Posts
Run, do not walk, away from Norwich Pediatrics. The office staff is incompetent. I brought my DS, 4 months at the time, for his routine exam appointment on a snowy day. It was one of those storms that yielded far less than was predicted. Anyway, these losers closed the office that day without bothering to call any patients who had appointments. Then they acted like I was the crazy one for being ticked off.

We transferred to Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine in Middletown. One of the doctors there stopped by my hospital room to congratulate me for not having DS circumcised. That impressed me, and they have been wonderful so far.

· Registered
11 Posts
I agree with the recommendations for Dr. Lahman and against Dr. Bush. We started with Dr. Bush and his nurses were increadibly rude to us and Dr. Bush ended up calling us and saying he wouldn't be our doctor anymore because of things the nurses said I did which weren't true. Very unprofessional of all of them including Dr. Bush who otherwise was very good. Also Dr. Bush is *not* a big breastfeedinig supporter in the way you might thing. When I first talked with him he told me that LLL was a "bunch of wacko extremists" and that it is not reasonable to try to exclusively BF and that a little formula or even 50/50 was fine.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeswimr
When I first talked with him he told me that LLL was a "bunch of wacko extremists" and that it is not reasonable to try to exclusively BF and that a little formula or even 50/50 was fine.
See this is the same thing I keep running into.
I think Im going to ask a LLL leader who their kids see. I know they arent supposed to, but I think thats my best bet.

· Registered
424 Posts
PLUS, I love the fact that they are so easy natured. They don't rush at ALL. When I first started I was used to my other practice where I had 2.5 secs to spout off my concerns and questions before I was cut off and they moved to another patient. Dr. Lahman laughed and told me to slow down. The first time I saw them was when he was covering for our regular ped. I loved him so much, I switched right away!!

· Banned
2,478 Posts
Wow,I didn't know there were so many NE CT moms here!

We got to Mansfield Pediatrics in Mansfield. We see Dr. Kelly who we love!

They are all educated about BF and supportive of not circ. Dr. Kelly has never messed with DS' foreskin!

We vax but I believe they allow parents to do their own vax schedules. I don't know about not vaxing at all. Mansfield is a pretty liberal town due to the university though, so I get the feeling they are pretty well-educated about alternative views.

· Registered
148 Posts
We also see Dr. Lahman and love both Dr's, the APRN and the nurses. Very supportive of extended bf, co-sleeping, fine with our decision to selective and delay vax (no lectures), a general feeling of peace and trust in the office. I also really like that Dr. Lahman really believes in mothers' instincts and really takes his time with [atients and parents!

Amy

· Registered
5 Posts
I saw this and had to post. I used to live in CT, and when I moved I actually cried because I was leaving my pediatrician. His name is Dr. Galan, in Norwich, and when I go back to visit relatives I try to always visit. He's very old-fashioned, but in a good way. He never ever rushed me, never laughed at my concerns, and even when we disagreed always made me feel that he had my baby's best interest at heart. I absolutely loved him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.