Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are an almost no time out family. DD-4 DS-2

But DS (2 years old) LOVES hockey (his sis figure skates so they go to the rink at least once a week and he watches) and grandpa got him a hockey set for Chanuka a few months back (foam covered and HARD to hurt someone with but..) He LOVES them and he and sis, Dad or I are always playing floor hockey.

Occassionally though he runs through the house chasing his sister wit the stick. We have tried "toy jail" but it seems to have a very short-lived impact.

Then I had an idea....

hockey players get a penalty and sit in a penalty box for "high sticking" or "slashing" and they have to sit in a penalty box

I showed DS a video of a hockey player getting a penalty and sitting in the box. and discussed that that while he was in the boz, his teammates were left without his help. Then today he chased his sis with the stick (never tried to HIT her, but scare her)

So I put a chair in a small alcove, and called "TWO MINUTE PENaLTY FOR HIGH STICKING" and asked him to get in the penalty box.

He happily complied... and sat quietly for a minute.. tried to get up and I said "you have to wait until the whistle blows" and he sat! The egg timer went off and he jumped up and we played more hockey.

Am I clever or is this just time-out-by-another-name?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
It's time out by another name....but I found that just shouting out, "No high sticking" had the same effect on my kids at that age. Another mom in the neighborhood with hockey roots started it.

The kids all loved it.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
YOU ARE CLEVER and techiniquily it is another time out. But there is no absolutes. You are making his negative actions realtive to what he was doing.

You explained what was going on and why he was there. What you did was/is creative parenting and discipling.

The only absolute I have in discipline is no hitting.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I like it, actually. There are rules and consequences that are a part of activities and games that children and adults choose to participate in. Part of choosing to participate is choosing to accept those parameters. Its okay for kids to learn this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like it, it's reminiscent of natural consequences, right? I mean if he was really playing hockey that's what would happen. It's something he understands and gives him time to refocus his energy. (and gives his sis a break!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It's inventive (and clever!) but it's not likely to dissuade him from chasing his sister with the hockey stick, because either it's part of the "game" - in which case it's fun (chase sis with the stick, get to hear mummy yell "PENALTY!!!" and go giggle in the seat for 2 minutes), or because it turns into an actual time-out, and therefore a punishment, and therefore not particularly effective (he will just find a way to do it without you finding out, or it'll become a big conflict point, out of proportion to the actual impact of the behaviour.)

That said, I have no advice on how to really dissuade him from chasing his sister around, because I suspect that it's really fun. I think it's probably up to his sister - if she ignores him when he tries to chase her, it won't be fun anymore. I guess the chances of that working sort of depend on her...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I don't generally put DS in time outs but I like it.

You explained the entire thing, showed that the natural consequence in the game for misusing your stick is the penalty box and now that's what he receives. I think it is creative.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think it sounds like a great rule for the "game" of chasing big sister with the hockey stick. He obviously sees it as part of the fun and one of the rules of play - so I think its a great way to get him to calm down at least.

The only problem with this will be the one day he says No and won't wait for the whistle. Do you then force him to sit there? Give up the rule? That will be the real test

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmama2AJ View Post
I think it sounds like a great rule for the "game" of chasing big sister with the hockey stick. He obviously sees it as part of the fun and one of the rules of play - so I think its a great way to get him to calm down at least.

The only problem with this will be the one day he says No and won't wait for the whistle. Do you then force him to sit there? Give up the rule? That will be the real test

nah... I'd never force a child.

I may have to "eject him from the game" however and remove the hockey sticks from the house for a while
or better yet... call for the end of the period. and bring out the zamboni (the broom)

he loves to push the broom and call it a zamboni

(of course he chases his sister with the broom)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.