Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds1 (intact) keeps complaining his penis hurts. It's not constant, he complains for a day or 2, then not for days or weeks. He also seems to occasionally get a rash on the underside of his penis that hurts, & has done for a few years. I have no idea what causes it. The 2 haven't seemed related, but tonight he said he thought it was hurting because of the rash.

I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping someone might have some idea what it might be &/or something to try to get rid of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
I was going to guess yeast as well. It can definitely flare and subside.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Check out that thread by the poster above!

Could be yeast but also this can just be normal separation. Normal separation symptoms such as itching, pain, sting during urination, ballooning, minor/moderate redness, minor/moderate swelling can come and go over the years.

Also sometimes young boys describe their erection as painful, it takes some getting used to for some boys. My son had an erection the other day and he said it was "hot". He is only 2 so he doesn't have the words to describe exactly what he is feeling.

Probiotics are always a good recommendation to maintain healthy flora. Try to keep him off the sweets and starches for awhile too. Maybe give him a nice soak in a warm bath with about 1/4 cup of baking soda and see if that soothes things first before you assume yeast.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link! Looks like I should get him into the doctor. Yuck. He's had the rash off & on (mostly off, which is why I haven't worried about it) for over a year.

Pretty sure it's not erection related, he'd have told me.

...Actually, if it's yeast, since it's under his penis, could he use the OTC anti-fungal I got for my breasts?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Thanks for the link! Looks like I should get him into the doctor. Yuck. He's had the rash off & on (mostly off, which is why I haven't worried about it) for over a year.

...Actually, if it's yeast, since it's under his penis, could he use the OTC anti-fungal I got for my breasts?
Yes he could. When the rash comes and goes does it usually look exactly the same as the time before but a bit bigger? But with familiar-shaped edges each time? I get fungal rash all the time (my general type - watery/sweet + too much sugar in my diet brings it on) on and off, i just use canasten cream which works great, but i notice if i DON'T treat it it will often go away but when it comes back it's in exactly the same area/shape, as if it went dormant then flared up, whereas if i use the cream it goes away completely and then comes back a new shape.

I'm not sure of general consensus but my DD (3.5) had a fungal nappy rash a few times and a mystery rash on her inner thighs once and i suspected fungal, tried the cream and if it hadn't of worked i'd have taken her to the GP. As it was it worked great.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Are you sure that the rash under his penis is not just where urine has dripped and stayed? Having some mild pain during boyhood is a normal part of the separation process. I'd put a little diaper ointment (yes you can use it even when they are older) on it and leave it alone. Some itching and pain on and off is a sign that his foreskin is separating and developing normally. Since he isn't in diapers and hasn't been on ABX I highly doubt it is yeast.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

If it's yeast, there is no need for a Dr. The OTC creams for women (monistat, etc) works fine. I'm not sure about what you used on you nipples, I'd stick to stuff designed for genitals just to be safe.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post
Since he isn't in diapers and hasn't been on ABX I highly doubt it is yeast.
Grown men get yeast infections all the time, the just prefer to call it "jock itch."

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Grown men get yeast infections all the time, the just prefer to call it "jock itch."
Yeah, but that is usually pretty noticeable, a rash on the underside the penis that comes and goes sounds more like a urine rash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There shouldn’t be any problem. My son had it when he was three. Now he’s eight years old, and his penis looks perfect!

Here’s a picture:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Cloud Comfort Gesture Knee Thigh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts