Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and its really pissing me off! I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to wean Olivia. I plan to let her wean herself obviously and I don't think she will wean during the pregnancy. Everyone keeps telling me I HAVE to wean her for various reasons. The most annoying is my MIL. Olivia has been really clingy since we found out I'm pregnant and MIL said I need to start talking to her about being a big girl and start weaning her because if she's jealous now she'll be really jealous when the baby is born. I fail to see the logic there. So I should wean her because she might be jealous? DUH, don't you think that would make her more jealous?? Everyone is treating me like I'm some bloody idiot who just doesn't know how to set limits or something. Why can't people just back off and realize that I not an idiot and I know what I'm doing? Any advice on what to say to people?

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Shawna---

I am so sorry that is people's reactions. We avoided that *mostly* for a couple reasons:

1) family is not immediately around so they didn't really know
2) Most everyone knows I am a "freaky hippy"
and honestly, the homebirth distracted them from saying *anything* about the nursing
3) By the time I was really pregnant DD wasn't nursing constantly anymore--- thought *that* has been the time I was most self-counscious about NIP. I nurse DS, 4 in august, in public w/less trepidation than I did DD at 2.5-- because of the HUGE belly.

No real advice, just
and understanding

·
Registered
43,705 Posts

I'm so glad I didn't get that kind of pressure when I was pg and nursing!

Would your MIL be open to learning about nursing during pg if you sent her/printed out some info for her? I'd suggest going that route first, and if she's really obnoxios and unwilling to learn, I'd go with a "It's my body, my family, my choice, now butt out!!" kind of attitude.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm so sorry you are getting that pressure! Do you have Adventures in Tandem Nursing? A friend who was having some of the same issues as you left it out on the coffee table and her mother read it and began to have less to say. Not that you need any convincing, but you are doing the right thing. My ds was 3.3 yrs when ds #2 was born and he nursed all through my pregnancy(and still is). He has no jealousy toward ds#2, although he does express wishes that it was just us two at times. I KNOW that things would have been awful had I tried to wean him, ESPECIALLY if my heart wasn't in it and I was caving in to someone else's ideal. You know best.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
My family was really on me as well. I actually hung up on my mom when I heard my dad start flipping out in the background about my still nursing when my mom asked how often ds was nursing when I mentioned my supply had dropped b/c my morning sickness was so bad (ftr, my mom wasn't as against it as my dad, she was more curious than anything since she weaned me at 15 mos and I bf longer than any of my siblings.) I printed off a bunch of stuff from Kellymom on why to bf a toddler, I think a few pages from Katharine Dettwyler's site and also a one page Q&A type ask column type thing (KWIM?) that was based in Israel asking about Jewish law on weaning and nursing while pregnant. I think education is the key. If they are open enough to be educated, they can at least understand your decision and leave you alone about it, even if they still don't agree 100%. KWIM?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Don't you just wish you could polish off a bunch of snappy comebacks that would shut them up? I used to wish that but I wouldn't want to stand there and see the look on their faces after a smartmouth comment. I tandem nursed during my last pregnancy. I just said "My care provider is well aware that I'm nursing and says it's wonderful." As if I'm not the authority on my own body and my childrens' health. But anyway, people love to bow down to the authority of a health care professional and that kept them off my back.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kavamamakava
Don't you just wish you could polish off a bunch of snappy comebacks that would shut them up? I used to wish that but I wouldn't want to stand there and see the look on their faces after a smartmouth comment. I tandem nursed during my last pregnancy. I just said "My care provider is well aware that I'm nursing and says it's wonderful." As if I'm not the authority on my own body and my childrens' health. But anyway, people love to bow down to the authority of a health care professional and that kept them off my back.
Yeah, I tried that, too, but I got my disregard for doctors directly from my parents (and my mom is a nurse and my dad's mom is a nurse!!!) :LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.