Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to share this comment with you all. i am sure that we have all heard something similar, but i had to laugh when she blurted this one out.

i was at the farmer's market and just saying to the girl at the stand that i don't want to get too stocked up on veggies because i never know when will be the day. i said, 'anyday now!', laughed and we were mid conversation when some woman said to me, 'when are you due?' and i replied, 'anyday now!' glad she interupted! then she says, 'are you sure?' i laughed and rubbed my belly and just shrugged it off, then she says, 'they must have miscalculated your due date. you don't look big enough. i'd make sure!' oh really????? well, i really didn't feel like sharing my conception date, date of last period, etc. with her so i just laughed again and endured her silliness and then said goodbye and walked away. too funny!

i can't believe people actually have the nerve to say such stupid things, but i guess that everyone has the right to say what they think.

oh, she also asked if it was my first. she obviously didn't notice that i was holding a 2 year old's hand. duh!!!

· Registered
594 Posts
I will bet that in a roundabout way she was trying to pay you a compliment. So many women complain about looking and feeling "huge" when they are pregnant... Maybe she thought it was nice to downplay your size.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
We live in a military town and I've had two separate Marines on two separate occasions try to help me recently. They were both hilarious and almost the same conversation. I said "Oh!" when I had a contraction in a store and they replied (almost word for word in each instance) "Ma'am!!! Are you in need of assistance, Ma'am?!" Why, yes. Can you get me a magazine and some water?

· Registered
305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa_nc View Post
We live in a military town and I've had two separate Marines on two separate occasions try to help me recently. They were both hilarious and almost the same conversation. I said "Oh!" when I had a contraction in a store and they replied (almost word for word in each instance) "Ma'am!!! Are you in need of assistance, Ma'am?!" Why, yes. Can you get me a magazine and some water?

LOVE IT! Oh, BTW, that chocolate bar on the bottom shelf to the right, no no, not that one, yes, that's it-can you get it for me, too? Thanks so much, now be a dear and get me a chair....

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I just visualized that conversation continuing in that fashion. At least the military personnel know how to treat a woman...And some are just so FINE...I know I married a Navy man!

· Registered
305 Posts
Now, the first one is not funny in my story and a bit gross but you get the picture....Guy talking to me says that if I really wanna get labor started to take a stick and poke it around in there...EXCUSE ME???? Even the man helping me gave him a funny look-sort of along the lines of "ARE YOU COMPLETELY DAFT MAN?" Then the first fellow still not realizing he said anything inappropriate looks me over as if sizing up a prize cow and says "Gonna be a small baby"....By now, the man at the counter is starting to sweat because he knows me and knows I am getting ready to go completely RED-HEADED SHELL on this poor fool! Unfortunately, I am in pain, tired and had found a comfy couch to sit on so I just gave him that blank stare you reserve for the ones who can't seem to understand that "People only think your a fool-unless you open your mouth and PROVE IT!" SHEESH!

After telling you all that, I can't remember the second story I was going to share so oh, well, preggo hormones strike again!

· Registered
272 Posts
I visited another site at work on Wednesday. I used to work there and know the staff pretty well. They were shocked at my "huge" size, and proceeded to compare me to the other pregnant lady in the office who is due two weeks after me and not showing...at all.

When asked when I was due, I said "at the end of the month", they all stared and proclaimed I would never make it, and if I did I would explode outwardly. Sometimes I wish more pregnant women would go out in public so people would know what we actually look like. I am getting sick of all the frightened looks.

· Registered
765 Posts
The other day I got "Are you having twins?" (a man, loudly in a crowded restaurant). Nope. "Are you sure????" (with incredulous look that ANY pg woman could be that big with only one child).

Nice. I'm a whale. I get it buddy.

· Registered
138 Posts
not so funny: cashier at the grocery store said, after telling us his horror story about his aunt going in to labor and wanting a 'natural' birth but then getting to the hospital and demanding the epidural, 'i'm just glad i don't have to go through the pain of birth- i'd PROBABLY SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FACE.'

seriously, dude?

the one that gets on my nerves is the "well, little lady, you're about to POP!!" like, aw, shucks, what a spectacle. i want to turn and say, "you know, that's actually NOT what's going to happen.."

but the one that actually DID make me laugh was DH's grandma, bless her heart, said "you're gonna tip over after you have that thing!!" that one, for some reason, actually made me feel really really warm. it was so funny and well intentioned, acknowledged all the work i'm doing here, and didn't make me feel like a whale, just very pregnant

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by schoolmom07 View Post
LOVE IT! Oh, BTW, that chocolate bar on the bottom shelf to the right, no no, not that one, yes, that's it-can you get it for me, too? Thanks so much, now be a dear and get me a chair....

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I just visualized that conversation continuing in that fashion. At least the military personnel know how to treat a woman...And some are just so FINE...I know I married a Navy man!

I love Marines. I am in my 30s and they're all about 20 and they run around on base in their little green shorts singing cadence. Oh, the eye candy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.