Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i was curious and told DH to check and see if i was starting to dialate. i'm at 1 cm. We both thought the experience was pretty cool.

I later mentioned to my sister-in-law, "yeah DH checked & i'm dialated to 1cm"

You should have seen the look of disgust on her face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just said, " So you are okay going to a dr. and letting a stranger stick their hands and instruments inside you? But sharing this with my husband in the privacy of our home grosses you out?"

What the hell is wrong with people? I don't understand!!!!!!!!!!!!! All i have to say is that if people are that weirded out about being that intimate with their husband, i don't know how they ever got pregnant because their sex life must suck!

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Yeah, I've encountered this also. I told my mom that DH got to feel the head near the cervix, I thought it was cool and so did he. She was all freaked out and said that she just didn't feel comfortable with her DH doing that sort of stuff ... And he's a doctor
I check my own dilation because I can reach.

I think it may weird people out because they clearly try to separate 'sexual' and 'birthing' and it just really can't be separated. So when we talk about our lovers doing something they have classified as 'clinical' it blurries their line and they don't like it.

Cara

· Registered
199 Posts
My DH is actually looking forward to checking. He's tried before but wasn't sure what exactly to look for. This time he's been studying.
How is it weird to have a couple of DHs fingers in there but not to have an ejaculating penis?????

· Registered
1,446 Posts
Yup the logic gap makes me laugh a lot. Any other scenario people would think you were nuts for showing your genitals to strangers...

My MIL told me she thought it was weird that I was planning to have my best friend at my freebirth because she'd see me in labour. I said, "So I should go to hospital and have a football team-sized bunch of strangers see my vagina on a bed with a huge light shining on it???" She said, "You just don't think about it!" (She's had 4 hospy vbs in the 1960s) I said, "I'D think about it! I'll only have my DP and my friend seeing me!" Then I put my concerned face on and said, "You know, I'm a bit worried about you. You may be an exhibitionist. You should think about that." Ahhhh the look on her face was priceless

Oh and you shoulda seen MIL's face when I told her I weed on said friend in the middle of labour while sitting naked in her lap. HAHAHAHAHA.

· Registered
2,121 Posts
Since it was your sister-in-law, she might have just been a little more weirded out because your DH is her brother . . . some people are weird like that. Just a thought.

· Registered
2,522 Posts
This is hilarous. I am always amazed

Dh felt our 4th heartbeat through his head of LONG curly hair..before birth. We thik I was at least halfway open before labor.

We also think our last was ear first prior to labor

It's nteresting and fun and I wish I could've reached to feel my own babies' heads.

· Registered
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrabblelover
Last week i was curious and told DH to check and see if i was starting to dialate. i'm at 1 cm. We both thought the experience was pretty cool.

I later mentioned to my sister-in-law, "yeah DH checked & i'm dialated to 1cm"

You should have seen the look of disgust on her face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why??? He wasn't even using his fleshy speculum!

Seriously, let's be frank with each other: he put the baby there! Everyone who's been married or had a BF has had the dude put lots and lots of things up there, including (but never restricted to) penis, tongue, and fingers. What the heck is so bad about taking a peek with his EYES?

· Registered
976 Posts
I told my partner that near the end he gets to check. we're UC/UP so either he checks or no checks happen at all (cool with me either way). but I sure dont get anyone having a prob with it, do you suppose they forget how pregnant happens?!

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetF
Yup the logic gap makes me laugh a lot. Any other scenario people would think you were nuts for showing your genitals to strangers...

Oh and you shoulda seen MIL's face when I told her I weed on said friend in the middle of labour while sitting naked in her lap. HAHAHAHAHA.
Hey, you know the old saying "better to be pissed off than pissed on?" LOLOL! Hey I do have a friend like that, and I had her there at my UC. She was priceless! Those friends are rare! Yeah, I don't get it, I don't want strangers seeing *my * coochie! My husband put the baby in there, he *better* help get it out!

· Registered
14,304 Posts
My mom was totally weirded out about me checking my dilation I cant imagine what she would have thought if I had told her dh did as well.
:

· Registered
1,095 Posts
My dh checked me with our last two and was surprisingly very accurate as to how far dilated I was! I mentioned it to a couple of people (friends) and the totally disgusted looks on their faces were priceless. I just LOL'd...people can be so clueless. I'd love to drop that bombshell on his mother one day though, I'm sure she'd just turn herself inside out with embarrassment...her precious son doing WHAT?!! LMAO!!!!

· Registered
5,441 Posts
While we didn't go unassisted, DH did my only internal check of the whole pregnancy/labor. He felt the baby's head, just to see if the babe was definitely headfirst.

Telling people that REALLY weirds them out, A LOT!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.