1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: I think this is funny.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...-NextArticle-1

Quote:
One can argue that choosing to own a vicious dog is a marker of social deviance because a vicious dog is, by definition, a socially deviant animal," said Barbara Boat, director of The Childhood Trust at the University of Cincinnati, who worked on the study.
Im not sure if I disagree.. its just amusing, that there are studies to try and prove this. And they cite traffic violations as criminal behavior.. I wonder, does this mean dui's or does it also include parking tickets?
:

any thoughts?

{fyi: I own a dog thats half coyote.. he was a biter before I had kids. He was abused. He's since been trained but he's still jumpy, yet now he's predictable. we never take him out of the home in public, however, because he could bite in that situation. or if someone comes to the door, lol}

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I can't read it, 3 pop up ads that firefox can't kill came up over the story, but based on what you quoted, I think it's a load of cow poo. I want a rottweiler so bad, I love that breed and many people see them as dangerous and vicious (including my DH, and I can't convince him otherwise as he was attacked by 4 dogs as a child and one was a rotty).

Traffic violations being criminal?
:

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
Many breeds of dogs are vicious when they are trained to be that way.
Exactly. For most dogs, it's all about the owner. There is a certain responsibility that comes with owning breeds that are statistically more pre-disposed to violent outbursts. Certain people choose breeds such as pitbulls, rottoweilers, german shepards, mastiffs, or what you have because they want to intimidate people with their dogs, not because they like the breed or want a pet. That's a sad thing. Those people tend to train their dogs to become vicious.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
It's a junk science study in hopes of supporting breed bans. Yes, to a certain extent, the "nasty breed of the week" is more apt to be owned by the asshole of the week, but generally the asshole came before the dog.
I choose to own german shepherds in spite of breed bias (which is NOTHING compared to what other breed owners face) and I see it as my responsibility to present a dog that is always under control. Nothing gives me more pleasure than the out of control lab bucking at the end of it's leash attempting to eat my german shepherd who will not so much as look at the other dog (ok....maybe some things bring me more pleasure...but few)

Anecdotal, I used to live on the main floor of a house, I had 2 german shepherds, my downstairs neighbor had a GSD x Rottie. The people upstairs who dealt drugs and had 6 welfare checks going into one apartment (Bad people, on pretty much every front) had a chihauhau named Pee Wee. When my downstairs neighbors and I put a fence in the back yard, we measured pee wee to make sure we had a big enough hole under the fence so that pee wee couldn't be contained in OUR fence.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Yes, to a certain extent, the "nasty breed of the week" is more apt to be owned by the asshole of the week, but generally the asshole came before the dog.
oh I totally agree. But the term they used was "socially deviant" which I personally cant deny.. it seems to be a part of several subcultures Ive encountered, rainbow gatherings for example, are full of subversives, and pitbulls. however.. the whole idea that an agro dog owner, or an owner of certain breeds is more likely to be a criminal, that I dont think is true. Many good, kind people own pit bulls and german shepards, rotties etc that they mentioned in the study. I think the criminal aspect has nothing to do with what kind of dog you own.

but apparently their study proves me wrong. so it goes.

here's another article on the same study for anyone who's links dont work

http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story...7-C12789DD6116

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Sorry, yeah that was kinda what I meant, basically they'd be a jerk whether they owned that breed of dog or not. It's jsut that the "current bad breed" tends to be attractive to the current bad boy. KWIM?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
It's a junk science study in hopes of supporting breed bans. Yes, to a certain extent, the "nasty breed of the week" is more apt to be owned by the asshole of the week, but generally the asshole came before the dog.
I choose to own german shepherds in spite of breed bias (which is NOTHING compared to what other breed owners face) and I see it as my responsibility to present a dog that is always under control. Nothing gives me more pleasure than the out of control lab bucking at the end of it's leash attempting to eat my german shepherd who will not so much as look at the other dog (ok....maybe some things bring me more pleasure...but few)

Anecdotal, I used to live on the main floor of a house, I had 2 german shepherds, my downstairs neighbor had a GSD x Rottie. The people upstairs who dealt drugs and had 6 welfare checks going into one apartment (Bad people, on pretty much every front) had a chihauhau named Pee Wee. When my downstairs neighbors and I put a fence in the back yard, we measured pee wee to make sure we had a big enough hole under the fence so that pee wee couldn't be contained in OUR fence.
Yeah, I agree Shannon. That's pretty much what I was trying to say...but my post got cut short because I had to leave. I've had a long day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.