Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter gave birth on the night of the 15th, and her doctor prescribed Percocet 5mg for her pain.

She only took ONE pill, and they had to rush my grandson back to the hospital by ambulance last night.

They are giving him formula, and he's much more alert now, but the hospital is telling my kiddo that she can NOT nurse him for at least two days.

Does anyone remember the book that tells how long meds last in breast milk, or have any creditable information on this?

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
That sounds like BS to me. There's no reason she should not nurse for 2 days. I took painkillers when my son was born and nursed him. Was his trip to the hospital related to the medication? You can call the Infant Risk Center or look on their website for info on drugs and breastfeeding.

http://www.infantrisk.com/

806-352-2519

Congratulations on your new grandson! I hope you daughter is doing ok and they are all home and resting soon.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, they said that the medication depressed his system.

she literally only took one pill, though...i know it stays in breast milk longer than in her blood, but dang, two days?

he's beautiful...i love having grandbabies! (and she kept him intact. win for grandma.)

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I always think of time in milk as the same as the time in the blood. It's like when you drink you have a blood alcohol level and it is the same level as in your milk. So if the alcohol has cleared your blood, your milk should be ok and you can nurse. Drugs may be different but I would call the center and ask. I always hear really great things about them.

I hope you get to snuggle that beautiful boy soon!

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I should add, I hope she is pumping regardless of what they say. That colostrum is precious and she needs to get her supply going. Don't want to mess with that early on.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she's pumping, but it's a crappy pump, and she's young and isn't the best at this yet. she only lasted a couple of weeks with her first, so this was very important to her.

they also tried to retract my grandson's penis in an attempt to catheterize him. luckily, she stopped them.

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
Can she get a hospital grade pump? Do they have an IBCLC on staff at the hospital she can talk to? Insurance should cover a pump. Mine would let me have a hospital grade pump only if I had some sort of problem that would prompt someone to write a prescription for it and a sick baby would qualify. Pumping is a learned skill so she should give herself some time to get better.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought her a hospital grade one...it just has to arrive.

i told her to ask the hospital for one, and they handed her a manual. like seriously?

i didn't think to have her ask her pediatrician to write a prescription, though...that's an excellent idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts