Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of dd's birth. I love almost all parts of it.
Except that I did not videotape it. I hated that about ds's and I am mad about this one too..... I want to video tape any other births I hvae.

That is my main gripe.
And that I forgot to check for a cord when I delivered her. I feel bad about that.

But besides that I think it was just how i wanted.

Anyone else want to go there?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I wish I had a video tape and more pictures to look back on but I know at the time I specifically requested no cameras. I just didn't need that distraction. So I wish I had the pictures and tape now but I know that it would have distracted me so I guess it's good we didn't do it. I regret very much all the people at my birth. We should never have called to let people know I was in labor and next time we will be callling AFTER the baby(ies) arrive and we are ready to receive visitors. No more calling to annouce that I am in labor.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
You gals are brave IMO if you wanted to video your births. If I saw myself I would no doubt be scared into never having any more kids

With the last 2 births the kids came in to see their new sister too soon for my liking.

Second is I hated having company come over. Granted it was my parents the first evening but still it interups my resting

Now it will be dh parents coming, but not til till a few days after the birth if I get my way.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know that I would do any thing differently for either of my births. My son's birth was less than perfect, my waters broke early without labor starting and then when it did start it was like being in transition right from the start. He wasn't born in the birth tub and pushing was weird and difficult. Now I would describe my daughter's birth as easy, fun, miraculous... etc... But each birth was it's own, y'know? You can only plan so much and then you just got to roll with it.
But I think my daughter's birth was as near "perfect" as you can get, it was all I had hoped for. Born in the birth tub, a wonderful group of supportive women and DH around, my son was there. She came out easily and peacefully.
I'm glad I had more support there for my DD's birth and I was able to relax more and let things just happen without trying to control things. So I guess what I did differently the second time is I had more support there and my son.... but you know he was there for the first birth too!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
First birth: I wish I had followed my gut and not hired a doula. She was so annoying and not at all a help--she kept "reminding" me to eat, drink, move, moan, etc. and got scared when the midwife was stuck in traffic. Also wish I had kepy looking for a different midwife (I interviewed at least 8 by phone or in-person and she was by far the least interventive, and one of the only ones who agreed to no VEs off the bat) and/or written a very very strict birth plan and insisted that my midwife read and comment on it.

She did all sorts of things I had told her I hadn't wanted and/or expected her not to do, such as using a doptone, showed me the head crowning using a mirror (SO distracting), telling me to get out of the birthtub to hurry things along, directing me how/where to push, fundal "support", joking around with the doula within the hour after the baby was born, etc.

Second birth: Great UC. Great midwife who was supportive and understanding and would have probably been okay to have at the birth (although alone was most likely better). I wish I'd had another person there though as labor support for dd1.

·
Registered
608 Posts
What I would have done differently -

I would definitely have gotten the birth tub. As it was, I was in the shower for a lot of it, and only got out because the hot water ran out.

I would have had fewer people. There weren't that many, but they all bugged me when I was in transition. I would have hidden in a closet if I could have.

I would have made it clear to DH that I wanted him and the other kids there when the baby was emerging, not outside playing.

I would have checked the camera - all the birth-day pictures are fuzzy.

What I would do again - Hire the same wonderful midwife! But since, we're done, I just recommend her to other people!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
It's hard to say! I've had really good experiences. For sure though I'd video tape and take pictures of my first 2 births. The first one I was too modest for pictures. I actually borrowed my sisters digital camera (which was of very low quality - those cameras weren't common yet) and took a few pics right after she was born but ended up cropping out any nudity and actually deleting the rest! I'm such an idiot! We had the tripod setup w/the video camera in the living room beside the birth tub but the pushing stage lasted so long that by the time she was coming I was in my bedroom and didn't care about the camera (my mw did ask though!). After that birth I became so into birth and thought it was awful that I didn't have it on tape. So I swore up & down that the next time I'd tape it for sure. I did everything I could to get that next birth on tape but dh pressed the wrong button or something and we got several minutes of blue screen instead! She came fast and that birth was unexpectedly unassisted, so I guess we did the best we could. I got the picture/video thing right at my last births (my twins) though, so at least I have that. Aside from all that, I'm not sure what I'd change. Oh! When my 2nd baby was born (unexpectedly unassisted) dh & I thought she wasn't breathing and I had him cut her cord & move her out of the water so he could stimulate her. That was stupid, in retrospect. She totally WAS breathing (she stayed pink) but I guess she was knocked out from the rapid birth. So I regret that and wish I could do it over again. Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
I would have kicked the Bio-Idiot out of the apartment permenantly because he was a total waste of space, oxygen and was a general annoyance while pretending to be "Supportive"

I wish my DD would have waited so my primary midwife could attend....my secondary, it seemed at the time didn't have much patience for me...I didn't know what was going on....

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
With dd (Freestanding birth center with mw and 2 doulas, and dh.)

More pictures. There are no labor pics of me except one pushing on the birth stool, and I really regret that. I spent 7 hrs in the jacuzzi, with dh, and I know some of those pics would have been great...me floating ar ound with my blow up blue dolphin!!

Actual birth pics. We were all so tired by the time she came out no one thought . They did take immediate pics right after she was born tho..

With ds : UA at home... we were planning on having a mw attended homebirth in the next state, in a private home, but ds came too fast.

So we were in catch baby mode, and neither one of us thought to take a pic until the midwife and doula arrived 40 mins pp, and they immediately grabbed the camera and took pics.

That's the only thing I would change about ds's birth...more immediate pics.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
we have no pics and no video of my labor and birth (we do have after birth pics, a portion of which had vanished for good when the external hard drive on which all our pics reside crushed beyond even professional repair).
also, by the time I realised I was in labor, it was heavy labor and everything was crazy. That left no space for more spirituality of the experience.

that said, though, the birth was better then my wildest dreams and is was better then perfect for my situation. I am extremely pleased with everything.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
For me, looking back on birth and thinking of things I'd do differently is best done quite a while away from the actual birth. Immediately following birth I'm just glad my baby is here and nothing nothing could have been any different. I get upset with myself if I think otherwise.

With my sons birth I had a lot of people around. It was my first and I felt like I needed direction and a MW to guide me through. A year later though, I felt like I willingly gave up too much of my power to the MW. I looked to her to guide me. She knew that was what I wanted and did so to an extent. Later I resented that I gave my power away and along with it my intuition about birth.

WIth my second baby I had such an overwhelming need to UC. I felt like myself and my baby were begging to be alone. I couldn't catch my breath and felt panic when thinking about anyone but my DH being at the birth. And, yet, my best freind was becoming a doula and needed to see births. I invited her. My husband called the MW & doula to come when labor began because I never really said what I wanted. I think I started pushing too soon in hopes of having the baby before anyone arrived. It didn't work though and I ended up taking a full hour after the MW arrived to push out the baby. The MW sat between my legs (i never said not to before or during labor). I trusted her as much as I could trust somebody, but I didn't like that she was between my legs.

With my last baby it hasn't been a full year yet and honestly, I don't feel like picking it apart yet. I'm sure as I get closer to her birthday I'll be thinking about it. And open to picking it apart, but not quite yet. To me, it is still that perfect miracle.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Henri's homebirth was perfect- except that once again I caved into letting people witness the birth that I really didn't want to. Don't get me wrong I love my mom and MIL but I regretted having them present for my first birth, and like an idiot I invited them to my second and regretted it again. Next time its just gonna be me, DH and our midwife. Darnit!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
We have lots of pictures from our son's birth & I am fine with that. I don't think I would want to dvd/tape record my labor & birth...pics are good with me.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I also wish I had taken some more photos right afterwards... there are no photos of me with dd until it got light out the next day, since I didn't want to disturb her with the flash. I wish I had bought some high-speed film, or had better lighting in our bedroom for this.

I didn't want birth photos or video, because I didn't want anyone there to be photographing instead of just being and experiencing. But I hadn't planned for photos afterwards, and I wish I had those snuggly first nursing shots

But most importantly, I wish I hadn't asked to have a VE done (midwife didn't want to, but I insisted). I wouldn't have spent the last 1 1/2 hours of labour feeling stressed about how "badly" I was doing because I was "only" four cm dilated! Transition was no fun because it was so hard to get back out of my head and stop doing math about how many more hours I thought I had to go...
:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I wish i had video taped mine too would have been nice to be able to actually see my lo's comeing onto the world, also would like to give birth in water next time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts