Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, it has been a while since i have been a part of these forums. and now i find myself in a situation that confounds me and i would like to see if anyone can help me. :smile:

i am 38 years old and i have a 9 year old and an almost 5 year old. about 2 years ago my husband i decided to try for a third child. i was not very consistent with any charting or temp taking or anything, so we basically were just winging it for a while.

i eventually caved and bought a fertility monitor and the strips and the whole 9 yards, haha. those things only frustrated me more. the problem was that i had started to have very erratic/irregular cycles. with my first two pregnancies, both before and after, i had had very regular 28 day cycles, give or take a day or two. then i found myself having a 26 day cycle and then a 35 day cycle. they went up and down like that for 2 years, and continue to this day.

when i look back at what was going on in my life, we were going through a lot more stress than normal with some very tough family things, deaths etc. add in some travel, that i hate, so it's always stressful, and just keeping up with all of the normal day to day stuff, and i chalked it up to my body "stressing out." but there were 3 or 4 cycles where i would start having massive symptoms so strong that i literally thought i was pregnant, but the test was always negative. they were extreme pms symptoms. i finally figured out by lots of research and asking around that i was most likely going into perimenopause. and i really did not think i was ovulating anymore.

and of course this just made me mad! lol. i could not believe that at my age this was happening! so for a few months now, i have been taking progesterone regularly and it has helped with the symptoms, but it has not brought my cycle back to regularity, nor will it, as i was told.

sorry this is so long winded! that is the back story. now to my question. :smile: so this current cycle is on day 55. the "average" length of cycle according to the app i use to keep track of them, is 35. they actually have been around 38 days. so since this one is longer than any cycle to date, i am wondering what is going on. i refuse to test because i can't handle the disappointment, not to mention this is getting ridiculous. so has anyone else experienced anything like this and have you been able to get pregnant during these erratic cycles? do you think there is a possibility that i could be pregnant? i have some very faint symptoms, but i have been just noticing throughout each day how i feel and what if anything is different this time compared to other cycles.

does anyone have any info on perimenopause to share? i suppose this could also be genetic because my mom told me she was around my age when it started for her, too.

anyway, i really appreciate any feedback! thanks!

amanda

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
@cherryblossom - Anything is possible. You could be pregnant and you could be advancing further into menopause where your periods will get further and further apart until they stop. A quick dollar store test will give you your answer.

I think you need to think very, very hard about what you want. And, unfortunately, you need to think quickly. If you are happy with your family the way it is and are interested in just leaving a third child up to fate/god whatever, then you are on the right path.

If you truly want to do everything possible to have a third child, you need to see an RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist, aka, Fertility Doctor) ASAP. They can run some quick blood tests that can at least tell you how far you are from menopause and give you some idea on what exactly is going on. Then you'll be able to make an informed decision on what you want your next steps to be. If you truly have reached menopause, it has then become impossible for you to have you own biological child.

Personally, I always feel it's best to be informed. If you have the knowledge then you can move forward with whatever decision you want to make.

On a side note, I don't know how your taking the progesterone, but if you take it before you ovulate it can prevent ovulation. You'll generally need to take progesterone from ovulation +1 day through about ovulation +14 and then do an HPT. If it's negative, stop the progesterone. You'll get your period and then a new cycle will start.

There's a chance that being on progesterone alone will stop your period from coming.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts