Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to glean some advice from some thoughtful midwives. I have an appt with my own mw, but not until June 16th--though if she thought it was an emergency I'm sure she would see me sooner. I guess I just need to find out if this is an emergency...

I had successful and wonderful UC 16 weeks ago. At the time I (naively) assumed I didn't tear because it didn't burn when my baby was born, it didn't burn when I urinated, and I haven't had any problems with incontinence.

I think I was healing just fine until 8 weeks pp when I took a long walk with my baby. I felt my pants rubbing up against me uncomfortably, but didn't think too much about it until I came back from my walk and saw a bit of blood (just a couple of drops). I took it easy for a couple of weeks, soaked in lavender and cypress oils and seemed to be fine, so I resumed my walking and started jogging. After a couple of weeks I noticed some soreness and saw the couple drops of blood again. I looked in the mirror and saw an area of my vagina that looked red and raw, and noticed a small strange flap of skin that looked out of place (like a piece of skin that had been pinched). I had my dh look at it and he basically confirmed what I thought -- that a piece of skin had been pinched and was having trouble healing.

So I took it easy for another week or so, bathed in my oils, sat with my legs together. One month later and I'm feeling pretty fine down there. My baby and I went on a walk, and then later walked through town.
This was memorial day...

The combination of those 2 walks seemed to have really put a damper on my healing. I saw those drops of blood again and since then I just seem to be getting worse. I looked in the mirror again and had my dh look last week and we both saw something we hadn't before -- it looks like I have a definite tear where we didn't see one previously.

I'm more sore and sensitive than I've ever been -- 3 times in the last week I've told my dh "this is the worst it's ever been!"

I haven't even dared looked in the mirror because I'm afraid of what I'll see.

All I know is that I hurt more NOW 16 weeks pp than I did after birth and urinating is so painful -- as is most things now.

Is it possible that I tore, was healing fine, until that walk 8 weeks pp? As I said, both my dh and I see a tear now that wasn't there a month ago.
If I put toilet tissue on that raw spot I mentioned earlier, I'll see specks of blood.

My plan until I see my mw is to rest as much as possible with my legs together, to use a peri bottle and a doughnut cushion, and to soak with my oils.

Is there anything else I should do? Am I in danger of infection? Will I need stitches? Ughhh...I can't believe I have to worry about this 16 weeks pp.
Any wisdom is very much appreciated.

TIA...

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
It's really hard to say what the situation is without actually seeing it. It could be just a skin flap that is in a really poor spot and keeps getting irritated.

You're not in danger of infection. Really, unless the tear was really deep, I would think that your body would heal it just fine. I'd keep it clean and perhaps call your mw to see if you can get in sooner.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I would take a really good look at it too. If you think that it isn't too deep, something like a sitz bath could really help your perineum. I would get some comfrey leaves, yarrow, yellow dock root, sea salt and some uva ursi (also self heal, plaintain leaves and rosemary) any of those...the main ones being the comfrey leaves and yellow dock root and sea salt, put it in a bag and steep it in a big pot of water for at least 20 minutes. Then put the steeped water in a bath and sit for at least 20 minutes. Once a day and I bet it will heal up nicely.

Also you can buy some comfrey root, steep it, wrap it in cheesecloth and freeze it overnight (in maybe 3X3 inch bundles) and put that right on your perineum. It will help reduce any swelling and heal tears and it feels great! Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback, Pamamidwife and DoulaSarah. I really appreciate it. I'll go get those herbs tomorrow.
I've been trying to take it easy (as much as possible with a 4 month old!). I have to walk really slow, change positions frequently while sitting, etc. I guess my biggest concern is that it's so much worse now than it was directly after Finn was born. I'll see my mw soon and continue to take it easy until then.
Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts