Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start doing this at night with my s.o.'s help but I am sort of confused as to what I tug on and stretch. I don't pull the lips right? Do I just pull gently and tug at that bit of skin right beneath my vagina where my hymen used to be area?? I'm kind of embarassed to admit I don't know too much about the female anatomy. I didn't know what my clitoris was until i was 20.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well it is the spot between your anus and vagina. But honestly... I know too many women who have tried it and it didn't do anything for them in labor.
Good luck.
Tricia

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I didn't do it with my first and had a 2nd degree tear. I did do it with my second and also had a 2nd degree tear. I'm not doing it this time. It just doesn't seem to be worth the effort to me. I *did* have really soft hands from all the olive oil, though.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I wouldn't bother either. Would stretching the corners of your mouth regularly make you mouth more stretchy over all?

Your perineum stretches at birth and is made to do that along with the tissues of your vagina. That's not to say it will not tear; I have three times and have the same experience as homebirthmommy - massaging didn't make any difference.

Tearing tells you to slow down after your babe is born and not jump back into super active life. Avoiding a tear is seen as the holy grail but I don't personally see it as a sign of weakness or failure.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangefoot
I wouldn't bother either. Would stretching the corners of your mouth regularly make you mouth more stretchy over all?

I agree. I tend to put this in the same class of advice that used to suggest women should prepare their nipples for nursing by pulling/tugging/stretching them during pregnancy. Not meaning to be rude/crude, but this seems like advice a man would come up with. "You've got to tug and rub it to make it work right!" Hmm, wonder where a guy would get that idea ...

Monique

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojumi
Not meaning to be rude/crude, but this seems like advice a man would come up with. "You've got to tug and rub it to make it work right!" Hmm, wonder where a guy would get that idea ...

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Here's an interesting thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=431875 to read about pros and cons and then some about the birth itself and how that cah help or hinder.

You know some people slather on creams and dont get stretch marks while others do the same and still get stretch marks? I feel that perineal massage falls into the same category in that to some extent your body will do what it will do and intervening in some way is like saying that we are broken or that our bodies don't work. I think that the actual moment of crowning is probably more relevant than massage. But even if you want to breathe your baby out and plan to ease the babe out into your hands sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. (See advice to 1st time moms thread - nothing or everything may or may not be as you expect)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think I've posted maybe once on this board, but my doula just addressed this last week in our birthing classes. She said that there is basically no need, and actually, if you do the deed on a regular basis, your vagina will be more than "ready" for birth. My husband certainly liked to hear that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts