Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is TMI, you have been warned
:

Just last Monday I was complaining to my family doctor that it was so frustrating to not ever have a period. She is fine with my preference to take a more natural approach, so she suggested I eat better, lose some weight, trust my body, etc.

Well I got my period yesterday
But I am concerned because I seem to be bleeding a lot. I am soaking through my overnight Mama Cloths in less than 2 hours. Those are very thick. I actually had to stay home from work today because I am exhausted and lethargic. I feel like I have been backed over by a semi truck a few times
And I am passing large clots, like, an inch larger or more.

Sorry for the TMI
But is this what a "normal" period is like, ladies? Or should I be getting nervous? I am thinking it is normal and okay for me and to just wait it out. But I have had so few periods in my lifetime that I feel like a 14 year old girl when it comes to these things

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Very heavy periods can be "normal," but that doesn't mean this necessarily is.

I have had very heavy periods during certain times in my life and I didn't know it was abnormal to bleed so much. I survived just fine, but I had to change tampons and pads between every class (high school, how fun) and every time I stood up there was a big gush of blood. It did leave me exhausted and weak.

Iron-rich foods can help, like spinach, red meat, molasses. Rest, of course. I would definitely call the doctor if you develop a fever.

I'm sorry. I know that isn't a huge lot of help. I think if it doesn't improve by the third day of bleeding you should give your doctor a call, even if you're otherwise okay, and regardless when your period has ended I would see your FP doctor or GYN because there's been a change and it could be treatable.

Here's some general information that might help: http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk.../bleeding.html

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
I had a hamburger today for the iron. And I am feeling better now, not nearly as exhausted.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have been having periods like this since ds was born 2.5 years ago, except regular, just HEAVY. In fact, today I just started and I am so tired I can hardly move. My drs only idea was to put me on birth control to lighten the flow a bit, and I don't want that right now. So here I sit, gushing...

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have always had very heavy periods... sometimes, especially after ds, with large clots that I can actually feel. It is not uncommon for me to go through a tampon in under an hour. If you haven't had one in a long time, it seems it would make sense for it to be that heavy, and I would say also "normal" with that, to be tired and lethargic. However, if it lasts more than 7-8 days, or doesn't slow down, you might want to go back to your doctor...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm guessing the very heavy flow and the clotting is because you haven't had regular periods. I have heard of this before. As long as you feel you can moderate it by keeping well hydrated and eating iron-rich foods, I wouldn't worry. Other things going on might warrant a visit to a health care provider.

If you start getting regular periods now, things could take a while to sort themselves out. I've always been very regular and no change in flow ever over the years, including between pregnancies. Nursing REALLY post-phones periods for me, so I didn't resume this time until twins were about 20 months old. That was a LONG spell for me with no period and holy smokes were they ever heavy and thus a pain to deal with. I was just about giving up and thinking this was now my new "normal". But the last one was so much less and very similar to what I've had all the rest of my life. So if that holds out (please!!) then I would have had 7 super-crazy-heavy periods before getting back toward my standard.

Good luck. I hope things calm down for you over the next several months.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Have you ever had regular periods?

If this is way, way out of your pattern (you used to be regular, then all of a sudden ceased to have periods, now this super heavy one), then I think it's a good idea for the doctor to actually examine you vs. giving you superficial advice.

If you've never been regular, or your system is adjusting post-baby within the last couple of years, then it might be "normal".

I have always had very heavy periods with a ton of clotting (I bleed about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup, which is a little heavier than average--but I'm done in 2-3 days) and flooding/gushing. If you are bleeding quickly and heavily, you will have more clots. Inch-longs are not huge, most doctors will not bat an eyelash until they're more along the lines of golf ball sized or larger. It really sucks because for a lot of people (myself included) even passing a clump of clots or the smaller ones hurt like the dickens.

I have had the monster clots and even heavier bleeding alternating with scant periods when I have had an ovarian cyst. Once it ruptures, then things go back to normal. So if you're having stronger PMS (or none at all even though you normally do), or you find yourself having hot flashes or night soaks uncharacteristically before your period (I've always gotten night sweats a day or two before my period starts, but when I've got a cyst, it's of the "I'd change the sheets if I could keep my eyes open" variety.)

One episode of this is probably nothing to worry about. But if you continue to get uncharacteristic periods, it might be a good idea to get an exam and maybe even a blood test during your period (On the 3rd day, I believe) to check for some common hormone imbalances that can occur. Even if you opt for no treatment, personally I like to be informed.

I know that big clots can be very painful and scary. Rest up, I hope you're feeling better soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.