Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that women who breastfeed don't get a peroid until 10 or 14 months later, I just got my period a week ago, and my baby is almost 3 months old. And I'm still breasting. Could something be wrong?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think 14.5 months is the average unless you supplement early with pacifiers, food, or you "schedule". That said average is just that - average. Some people menstrate earlier than others. I'm at 15 months and still waiting - not far off from average. BUT, I know someone else who is at 33 months and is still waiting! So there must be earlier times to offset that one.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It varies greatly. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I got mine back at 11 months when dd wasn't even eating solids yet...

-Angela

·
Registered
23 Posts
Everyone is different! But it really depends on frequency of feedings and if there are any larger spaces in there, like night weaning, ect. Some cultures would feed their children on very frequent schedules to keep their periods at bay. Myself, with my almost 4 year old, I didn't start my period until he was 18 months old. Now, with my youngest, he is 15 months + and I am still waiting.
:
I'm not in a rush this time though, as I want to wait another year or so before getting pregnant again.
And since we tandem, I am hoping to keep my periods at bay even longer than before.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Also, I've heard that periods could stop. If, for whatever reason, you start nursing more often, like a growth spurt, it is possible you'll stop again.

I wouldn't worry just based on that. I've heard of AF returning at 4 weeks.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I nurse on demand which is very frequently trust me

I have always gotten my period back by the lateest 3 months PP. Its very faithful
:

I am still nursing my 20 month old dd many times during the day and at least once but more likely twice a night.

Found out I am preggo w child #4 Think I am due February or March

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Definitely varies from woman to woman. I got mine at 15.5 months PP with my son, and still no AF at almost 11 months with my daughter.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I also got mine back about 3 months PP. Oddly, about exactly a month after I stoped the PP bleeding
:

DS was nursing exclusively and frequently, all day and night. They've been like clockwork ever since too.

Every body is different.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not only is every body different, but it can vary from one child to the next. I've had 3 beebees and EBF them all and I've gotten ppaf at a different time with each of them.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Yup . . . I got my at 4 mos. postpartum and baby was exclusively breast fed. I nursed round the clock all through the night and still. I was so shocked I actually thought I might be hemorrhaging or something. I was really hoping to have a really nice long break from my period but . . . like everyone has said, it is an individual thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts