Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
We have just joined a food buying co-op and I am getting good deals on organic produce. I am just wondering what is the best way to store them? I would like to get to where I can order produce for the whole month, but I don't want the fruits and veggies to go bad before the next order comes in.<br>
I also don't want to buy only a weeks worth and then have to go to the store and pay 2-3 times as much for their organic produce.<br>
What is the best way to store fresh fruits and veggies?<br>
Thanks for any help.<br>
Deece

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It really depends on the produce. Some produce lasts a long time other stuff you need to consume within a couple of days of getting it, like most greens. I have some food storage tips from my winter CSA for root veggies (store them in clean sand for long term in fridge). Potatoes - in cellar away from onions and garlic. Same for onions and garlic but keep away from potatoes. Squash can be stored in cool place for a long time except for acorn squash for some reason. So things like that can be stored over the course of a month.<br><br>
But tomatoes aren't going to last that long. Peppers as well. Some fruit might last a month like apples and pears in the fridge. But berries won't.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Fruits and vegetables breath at different rates, so you need to customize storage a bit.<br>
You can buy special containers to keep them fresh longer, or see if your fridge has a good crisper, one that's adjustable.<br>
Otherwise you'll have to freeze some things - peppers are great for that. I chop them up and then freeze them in a container and just chip off what I need. I freeze berries too...but then you can't use them for just anything, because they're all melty. Good for smoothies, tho.<br><br>
Keep your other fruit away from bananas. They make other fruits ripen quicker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts