Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

We're moving to an area where my kids are sure to run into ticks more often and I am thinking about spraying their shoes with Permethrin. Please stop me if this is some kind of hideous poison. I plan to use a lemon eucalyptus rub on their skin, but I figure their shoes may come into contact with the ticks and they will not have the shoes up against their skin. They will be taking them on and off though. Anyway, I hate the idea of chemicals on them so if it is nasty, please let me know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
876 Posts
Permethrins are used for the treatment of human scabies and lice infestations and has a good safety record although there is much research into the arena of organic pesticides and toxicokinetics. So, there have been some toxicological effects observed in experimental studies in high doses.

If you keep it on their shoes OK but you may want to consider double-sided tape at the bottom of their pants and sleeves. I do a considerable amount of field work and this is the method that I use and have success with. A remarkable pain to remove but you avoid chemicals. Lemon-eucalyptus should only be used on children over 3 years old and as a 10% solution.

SM
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top