Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old and 6 month old have had the whooping cough since the end of March. First two weeks were cold like coughs then cold symptoms left and the scary cough began. Our gp misdiagnosed them and said its just a cough, but I was freaked out because I've never had to deal with anything lasting more than 48 hours with my 3 boys (I'm blessed). At the end of May (2 months into it) I switched to a pediatrician because I was sick of being told my children most likely have asthma (we don't vax and have no history of asthma). They got the nose swab and a week later the results came back positive.

*Here is the point where I wish I would have been looking to mothering forums for knowledge.

They prescribed azithromax (sp?) to our whole family.

*I didn't know that at this point we weren't considered contagious anymore and that is all the antibiotic is suppose to do (prevent spread). NTM, the antibi disabling my babies immune system to fight off other things. Also the gut function becoming compromised due to loss off good flora (thanks montezuma t, your posts are gold).

So the boys both end up with high fevers and high white blood count and x-ray says Pneumonia.

This time pedi put baby on more azithromax and 2 year old on amoxicillon.

Baby's fever came back the night of his last dose of antibiotic so pedi put him on cefprozil (another antibiotic), which makes him puke sometimes.

I've been kinda doing probiotics in between and just heard of SA (thank you mothering forum for that), its just that I've been so scared for so long with listening to their coughs and intermittently feeling guilty that maybe I should have vaxed.

So, to make a long story short, I don't know what to do about reoccurring pneumonia besides finishing antibiotics, using probiotics in between and giving SA when I find it. TIA!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Please don't feel bad about not vaxing. Your son would only have had 2 doses, which confers 60% immunity, so he might ahve gotten it anyway. The ones who are most prone to severe problems are the tiniest babies: newborns especially, but mostly babies under 6 months old. My son got pertussis at 8 months old (no vaxing here either), and we rode it out. I did put everyone on the ATB b/c I couldn't bear the thought of another mother watching her bay turn blue like I saw teice, and struggle to breathe with every coughing spell. And since Patrick was no longer contagious but WE might have been, we did the ATB.
As for pneumonia, you *can* get viral pneumonias but b/c pneumoinia is serious, they treat it regardless. I'd give a bunch more probiotics and finish the ATB for now, but if it sticks around insist on a chest xray first. I know xrays stink, but at this point it's probably better than more ATB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.