Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So I'm expecting my first baby, due November 7th. I am a PICU RN and have watched several babies die of pertussis. I have vowed that no one will be allowed around my baby who is not vaccinated for flu and pertussis. Thank god I have a sweet nanny who is vaccinated (as well as her family). My sis-in-law is anti vaccine and she and her family are not vaccinated. I have told my brother (her husband) that none of them will be allowed around me or my baby until she is fully vaccinated. They are all super pissed and my parents are in a weird spot, not knowing what to do with holidays and such. They say as long as they are not sick they should be around my baby. Am I being too inflexible? this is SUCH a hot issue for me and I feel so strongly about this. Have any of you run into similar issues?    </p>

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
<p>Is pertussis the main thing you are worried about? Or which diseases specifically are you most concerned about? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>As an RN I am sure you are aware that once your baby is 6 months old the chance of having a severe complication from pertussis is pretty slim.  I personally don't think it is unreasonable to not want unvaccinated children around a newborn. Especially one that is born in November when it's flu and pertussis season.  Maybe once your newborn gets a couple rounds of vaccines by 4 months old you would feel more comfortable?  My husband and I were very cautious until my son got his first round of vaccines at 2 months but we were lucky that he was born in May and not winter. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>What exactly do you mean by until your daughter is fully vaccinated? Do you mean until she has had the MMR at 12 months?  That seems a little more unreasonable unless there is a measles outbreak in your area.  She will have had multiple doses of vaccines by then and generally out of the danger newborn phase.  But it is your baby and you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with :) </p>

·
Registered
343 Posts
<p>I don't think you are being unreasonable.  I did the same.   I was lucky no one gave me any grief over it.  The only issue was my sister's needle phobia (a serious one actually).  I only was concerned until 6 months, but I really thought my baby my rules.</p>

·
Registered
222 Posts
<p>I worry about pertussis too for those first four months. I don't think it's unreasonable to disallow unvaccinated kids around your babe until she (your babe) has had her pertussis vaccines. I'd do the same. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd probably let it go after that, though. </p>

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
<p>I have not personally run into this issue-- I was very ignorant when I was a young mom about childhood diseases. I am now a peds RN who works on a respiratory unit across the hall from the PICU. I have helped several babies and toddlers through pertussis and it's awful-- there are no words. I have heard of them dying but not on my unit (we transfer to PICU obviously). I would absolutely insist on people either getting vaccinated or not holding your baby! You have seen a parent's worst nightmare several times. You know what it looks like and it's not pretty, and of course you don't want that for your baby. It's your right to draw that line. Not to mention your baby will be a newborn during respiratory season.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts